• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Aquapod

Mael

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hey, I am setting up an aquapod and would like to get a species of squid or cuttlefish for it. The aquapod is 12 gallons. I've looked into the southern pigmy squid but i live in Utah, US and i dont think i can find htem here. Most cuttlefish ive seen for sale get too big. Do you guys have any suggestions or squid/cuttlefish for sale?
thanks
mael

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Sorry Mael,

But I can't think of any ceph that would fit in a 12G Tank. It's just too small to get stable with a high waste producing animal.

J

Mael

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I wish i could get some Southern Pigmy Squid but around here, I have no chance. I was thinking of S. Bandensis but i guess it's too big.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
12 gallons is awfully tiny. Really there are very few things you can fit in there. You're looking at maybe a chunk of live rock and maybe a little goby or a shrimp or something.

To do any real serious saltwater keeping you might consider setting up a 30 gallon tank. That would allow you to keep a dwarf ceph or at least some choices with what creatures you want to keep, clownfish, etc.

Dan

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Yeah, just put in some live rock, maybe a small cup coral, and a goby or two...12 is waaaaay too small for any ceph.
When you decide to get a tank for cephs, you might want to look at purchasing a standard 55 gallon tank, it is about the same price as setting up a smaller tank, and opens up the availability of what cephs you can keep.
greg

Mael

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I have done some research on the bobtail squid and i just was wondering if i could get these anywhere? I know it may not sound like the best idea but i am a very dedicated aquarist and would do everything i could to keep the squid(s) healthy.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Hi Mael, we've kept bobtails at the lab where I work, we used a 20G flow through but it was still iffy. The waste produced was incredible!

J

Mael

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Well to tell you the truth i am prepared to deal with that, I will keep the tank very clean, like i do with all of my other tanks. Do you know of any place that has these squid available?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
The other thing to be aware of is that they need a sand bed to bury in. And that's where they'll stay for oh..............about 23hours of the day!! Just joking:grin: but they do spend a huge amount of time buried and they are nocturnal!

J

Mael

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I know where you can 'find' them in the wild, im asking if anyone breeds them or has any available.

I will keep the thing about the sand bed in mind. Once I know that they are available and i can get one of a few, I will get as much info as i can before actuallly getting one. But first i need to know if i can get them..

Members online

No members online now.