Aquapod

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Mael, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Mael

Mael Pygmy Octopus Registered

Hey, I am setting up an aquapod and would like to get a species of squid or cuttlefish for it. The aquapod is 12 gallons. I've looked into the southern pigmy squid but i live in Utah, US and i dont think i can find htem here. Most cuttlefish ive seen for sale get too big. Do you guys have any suggestions or squid/cuttlefish for sale?
    thanks
    mael

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Sorry Mael,

But I can't think of any ceph that would fit in a 12G Tank. It's just too small to get stable with a high waste producing animal.

J

3. Mael

I wish i could get some Southern Pigmy Squid but around here, I have no chance. I was thinking of S. Bandensis but i guess it's too big.

4. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

12 gallons is awfully tiny. Really there are very few things you can fit in there. You're looking at maybe a chunk of live rock and maybe a little goby or a shrimp or something.

To do any real serious saltwater keeping you might consider setting up a 30 gallon tank. That would allow you to keep a dwarf ceph or at least some choices with what creatures you want to keep, clownfish, etc.

Dan

5. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

the only thing i could think of, is a bobtail squid, but that is very iffy, and would be pushing it.

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Yeah, just put in some live rock, maybe a small cup coral, and a goby or two...12 is waaaaay too small for any ceph.
    When you decide to get a tank for cephs, you might want to look at purchasing a standard 55 gallon tank, it is about the same price as setting up a smaller tank, and opens up the availability of what cephs you can keep.
    greg

7. Mael

I have done some research on the bobtail squid and i just was wondering if i could get these anywhere? I know it may not sound like the best idea but i am a very dedicated aquarist and would do everything i could to keep the squid(s) healthy.

8. Jean

Hi Mael, we've kept bobtails at the lab where I work, we used a 20G flow through but it was still iffy. The waste produced was incredible!

J

9. Mael

Well to tell you the truth i am prepared to deal with that, I will keep the tank very clean, like i do with all of my other tanks. Do you know of any place that has these squid available?

10. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

Hawaii

11. Jean

The other thing to be aware of is that they need a sand bed to bury in. And that's where they'll stay for oh..............about 23hours of the day!! Just joking:grin: but they do spend a huge amount of time buried and they are nocturnal!

J

12. Mael

I know where you can 'find' them in the wild, im asking if anyone breeds them or has any available.

I will keep the thing about the sand bed in mind. Once I know that they are available and i can get one of a few, I will get as much info as i can before actuallly getting one. But first i need to know if i can get them..

13. Feelers

Feelers Vampyroteuthis Registered

Well I have caught them in a light trap, but thats here in NZ, and I dont have a clue about any where else.

14. Mael

Does anyone have these for sale?