Any more information as in images of these?

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thank you,

But I saw that page years ago. It is very nice and there are a lot of stimulating images. But the sixth one down in the picture I posted is one that I have never seen before. Surely that is not the only image available online.

- Leelan

Cuddlycuttlefsh

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yeah.. and the 6th one does look different. Like a cross between an octopus and nautiluses. The arms are more muscular than the rest and do seem to be less in numbers.

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
It's the arrow-head shell that interests me. And what size is it? There is bugger-all on the web that I can find.

- Leelan

Cuddlycuttlefsh

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Some theories ran through my mind after examining the shells. First of all was the shape of the shell for attracting females to mate with and for sexual reasons? Or was the shape of the shell formed for defensive behaviors. It would be a possible theory that these primitive cephalopods use their funnels to help them jerk back lunging it's sharp shell right at what ever was their target. If so it's purpose might also have been to ward of foes from behind and not just for buoyancy. Obviously their beak won't do so much against creatures bigger than it's size.

:goofysca: :nautiloi:
Oh please no don't!

It must end this way
brother!

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thank you! Still not much on the size. There was a reference to "nine feet" but a lot of species were listed immediately after including Gonioceras.

I will keep this one in mind as I work on my first orthocone sculpture.

- Leelan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King.God

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan