Any more information as in images of these?

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered

Attachments

• conv_304570.jpg
    conv_304570.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 258
Thank you,

But I saw that page years ago. It is very nice and there are a lot of stimulating images. But the sixth one down in the picture I posted is one that I have never seen before. Surely that is not the only image available online.

- Leelan

Some theories ran through my mind after examining the shells. First of all was the shape of the shell for attracting females to mate with and for sexual reasons? Or was the shape of the shell formed for defensive behaviors. It would be a possible theory that these primitive cephalopods use their funnels to help them jerk back lunging it's sharp shell right at what ever was their target. If so it's purpose might also have been to ward of foes from behind and not just for buoyancy. Obviously their beak won't do so much against creatures bigger than it's size.

:goofysca: :nautiloi:
Oh please no don't!

It must end this way
brother!

Thank you! Still not much on the size. There was a reference to "nine feet" but a lot of species were listed immediately after including Gonioceras.

I will keep this one in mind as I work on my first orthocone sculpture.

- Leelan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back