• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aculeatus

I took some pics of the loose floating mushroom. I also took a pic of where it use to be.(the base is directly in the center of the photo) Also whats the scientific name for the sun polyps, because i think my LF could get them. Island marine say they have cinnamon brown polyps. Are those the right ones.

Attachments

• conv_294418.jpg
    conv_294418.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_294419.jpg
    conv_294419.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_294420.jpg
    conv_294420.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 88
I can't tell enough from the photo to see if there are tears in the center (put photo critters in a shallow bowl of tank water though as you minimize the recovery chances of a potentially damaged animal removing it from the water). If the mouth and the underside below the mouth are not harmed, the mushroom will be fine (some kinds attach and detach easily without harm, other not so safely). If there is damage to the underside (the mouth appears fine on top), it may or may not heal but leaving it in your tank is not a water problem. Mounting mushrooms is a challenge. You CAN just place it on some LR in very little current (or on a small piece of LR place somewhere very calm and moved later after attachment) and see if it attaches (it the red ones take about a week, sometimes two). Eventually, it will attach somewhere. An alternate is to loosely wrap large weave net over it for two weeks. The worst way I know of and I do not recommend is to use superglue but you need to be very good with handling the glue not to kill or fail to attach and I would recommend you visit a reef site for help if you want to try it this way.

The cinnamon brown zoos are the ones I said NOT to get and that I had to remove from Octane's tank because I saw a definite negative reaction. This is the best I can do on a proper name (from sealifeinc.net):

...often called "Sun Polyps", and are most likely in the genus Palythoa, and probably the species "grandis", but there could be some debate over the exact species

The mushrooms will close up at night and open with the lighting (as do most photosynthetic animals).

According to my reading, all corals have the ability to sting. The degree of sting and the ability for humans to sense it varies widely (vinegar is the usual pain reducer and shuts down the sting for most polyps/zoos - for humans only NOT for the tank or octos). Several of us have had good success with this particular kind of polyp and octopuses (you can see them in SueNami's tank as well as shots of Octane litterly sitting on them) and is why I mentioned them when you asked what you could safely add to the tank. Even some small zoos can irritate an octopus (and a human) but a small patch with your lighting should be easily avoided if the octo finds them unpleasant. Cinnamon browns multiply rapidly and cause a noticable reaction for octopuses and should not be included in their tank. Unlike the small zoos, they will spread quickly and take over the safe roaming space for the octopus.

No matter what you put in the tank, if your octo reacts like it is hot, you should remove it.

Thales uses an expression that I like to quote from time to time (and he used it on one of my questions about cuttles).
It is OK until it is not

If you go back and read through CaptFish's journal, you will note that he put multiple baby briareus into a single, well established tank. Legs grew up undetected in the tank for several months, survived his likely sibblings, the anemones and what ever else the tank houses that might have found him an interesting meal. The reverse was mostly true as well except for one pesky fish and 4 sibblings. Do not misunderstand my reason for pointing this out as I am not objecting in anyway to the adventure but it is necessary that you read and consider the entire situation.

I don't have any helpful info but here is some food for thought. If I remember correctly the mushrooms corals are themselves small Anemones. Unlike most other nems they are very hardy and from experience I can tell you that if you have a salinity spike that wipes out your reef tank....they will be the only thing that survives lol. The white stringy stuff coming out the middle is normal for new anemones recently introduced to a new tank, they turn themselves inside out sometimes to help aclimate to new enviorments. As for cuts or rips on the mushroom.....you should be so lucky. Most the mushrooms (read most) reproduce through fusion, so you may find that the mushroom you thought was ripping apart..... is.....into two mushrooms for you to enjoy. As for adding other Anemones to your system....I don't know how that will work out, but I can push you in the right direction. IMO

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back