A Macabre Request?

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by gjbarord, Oct 31, 2014.

1. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I recently started a new position teaching Marine Biology at Central Campus High School in Des Moines, Iowa (of all places). I'm developing the curriculum and changing some things. Of course, I'm going to include a lot of cephalopod activities!!! So, here is my main question:

What does everyone do with their deceased octos and cuttlefish?

Dissections are a huge part of the course and I would love to be able to have the students experience those dissections as part of the course. Would anyone be willing to preserve (freeze) their dead cephalopods and donate them to our program?

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to help out.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Have fun teaching! I used to buy frozen squid at a local Asian fish market and use them for dissection. Of course that was in California, so I'm not sure what kind of markets you could find locally.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Email me (tonmo@dwhatley.com) with an address where you want to receive the carcasses. I have several octos that have been formalin preserved. Most are pretty small but at least two are decent sized. I think they all have been rinsed and transferred but I may still have one that needs to be removed from formalin. I'll put them all in a sealed plastic bag and ship in alcohol. Unless you have a limit, I will send all that I have kept as we have not had other educational requests in quite awhile and I did not even preserve the last one.

Nathalanti and tonmo like this.
  4. A. Cuttlefish

A. Cuttlefish Blue Ring Registered

Well, I can't help since I'm on a different continent. But, I conducted a squid dissection when I was seven. It was for sale at the local supermarket. Whole. And preserved (mostly). Have