• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

1st Time Raising Sepia Bandensis

You might want to try another diet change. Can you get shore shrimp (salt/brackish water shrimp) instead of the freshwater or small crabs?

Yea i can get those. They are quite a bit more expensive though from my understanding. I understand i cant keep feeding them freshwater. So ill get some here soon. O2 hasnt changed. I dont understand why there wouldnt be enough oxygen in the watter. Protein skimmer and a wet dry/ refugium. Water quality is in check.

Im noticing a noctunal feeding pattern.. Is this normal at this age? I can put 5 shrimp in the breeder and they sont show any interest until the lights are off. When the lights are off they just go crazy and eat them all up. They also seem really shy despite all the interaction ive been giving them.

How do you "really" know when to release the cuttles into the main tank? Im thinking its about time. They are getting big and seem unhappy being kept in the holding tank.

Cephdoc;172712 said:
Im noticing a noctunal feeding pattern.. Is this normal at this age? I can put 5 shrimp in the breeder and they sont show any interest until the lights are off. When the lights are off they just go crazy and eat them all up. They also seem really shy despite all the interaction ive been giving them.

Yep. This happens also if you over feed and leave food in with them - they eat, sometimes, when they are hungry. If you want them to eat in the day, don't feed them at night. :biggrin2:

Cephdoc;173125 said:
How do you "really" know when to release the cuttles into the main tank? Im thinking its about time. They are getting big and seem unhappy being kept in the holding tank.

Its up to you. :biggrin2:

I just put the 5 little ones in the main tank... :frown::frown: Im not sure they were so ready lol.. Im more nervous now than ever... even when they were little because now i have 75 gallons to account for 5, 1 1/2 inch cuttlefish... The cleanershrimp already attacked one and it inked and jetted far away.. it might have thought it was just food though.. Hopefully when they get in the hunting mode they will take out all hazards :smile:

Hey I'm new but have been following your thread... Any updates/pics?

Also, how long have you had your tank established Cephdoc?

Is mysid shrimp to large for newly hatched cuttlefish? How old are they before they start eating mysids? Mine can eat copepods but shrimp seem to be to large for them yet. I am hatching brine shrimp mixed with rotifere and using that along with the copepods.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back