• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

1st Time Raising Sepia Bandensis

Can i get PE mysis from a LFS? And i might get some Shore shrimp and or FW Ghost. What do you recommend? Ghost is cheaper isnt it? My LFS's dont copper treat their ghost, so that is a great thing. If i get shore dont they ship a range of sizes, unless i talk to Paul requesting only smaller ones?

Cephdoc;171532 said:
Can i get PE mysis from a LFS?

Depends on the LFS. A good one should have it.

And i might get some Shore shrimp and or FW Ghost. What do you recommend? Ghost is cheaper isnt it? My LFS's dont copper treat their ghost, so that is a great thing.

No shrimp should be coppered, its toxic to them. As for cheaper, I don't know, it depends on the shop.

If i get shore dont they ship a range of sizes, unless i talk to Paul requesting only smaller ones?

Not sure. Check with Paul. :biggrin2:

Alright good! I got some PE today, and feed them with success! Not complete success though. It took awhile for them to actually strike at them, but once the biggest ones did they went ape shit! Jetting around all over the place. 5 out of the 8 took to the PE, but i think this is because they were one of the 1st to hatch. So they are older and bigger than the other 3, but the other three are still pretty timid and smaller. The bigger ones are about 1/2 inch, and the others are right around there but definitely smaller. At this point with the money spent on them im not concerned about keeping "every last one alive" due to to the fact that if the smaller ones wont take to the PE then they will require more live food and i dont want to order any more Live mysis. Im past that stage in my opinion. They are just over a month old the bigger ones, and the smaller ones probably right at 1 month im guessing. Its weird though they eat on the PE but let go of it after awhile so i just get the scraps out of the nursery after that happens. Im sure once they get extremely hungry they will eat just about anything i put in there huh? Im having a blast though! I LOVE these little guys! Watching them interact with everything, with each other, and with me is amazing! I cant wait till they are bigger and into the display, its going to be beautiful! I think im going to do a octopus after this though lol. I knew cuttlefish were more demading and costly but i never thought it would be like this :smile: haha its like a second full time job.

Im very very very worried though. Starting tonight and through Thursday the weather is calling for alot fo snow possible ice storms and power outages... I cant afford to lose my babies.. Ive got too much money wrapped up in this tank and in the cuttles to let that happen. Any suggestions. I was going to buy ghost shrimp tonight but i decided against that due to i want to experiment with PE alittle longer. We are supposed to be getting anywhere from 6-8, 10-14, or 18-20 inches of snow over three days and thats alot right now for us in Indiana. So im really worried, i dont have a battery bubbler but i do have plenty of newspaper. Please chim in to help me, because the snow has started falling and i need to do whatever it is to keep things alive and healthy over the next few days and im afraid tomorrow may be my only day left for travel as i might still go to school if the roads arent too bad.
Thanks

I strongly recommend that you buy a batery operated air pump and batteries! If you can get out tomorrow, I would make it a priority. The cheap ones (sometimes Walmart has them in addition to pet stores) will do fine. If you have a choice, get one that will run with either one or two batteries installed. I had to rely on these for a week a couple of years ago and have used them for a day at a time on a number of occasions. They will run over 24 hours on one set of batteries.

No power outage over the storm, so im in the clear! We got 10 inches and worse it drifted. Anyways i just finished separating the 8 babies. 4 into a net and 4 left in the clear breeder. I left the smaller ones in the breeder and the 4 biggest in the net. They are eating the PE but not as well as id like. All the fish stores are closed today because we got all the snow last night, i went tuesday to see about getting ghosts and they didnt have much left.

The ones that arent eating will have gone without food for 3 days. Im worried they will start dropping like flys :sad: I will be really upset if that happens. Im still trying the PE, after school tomorrow, if i make it in, i will pick up some ghost shrimp if i can find a LFS that has them.

Following along with great interest...... hoping to try my hand at some cuttlefish eggs in the near future and want to learn as much as possible from others first.

Thanks for journaling!
Sue

Lost another one the other day. He was teh smallest out of the 7 remaining. So i have a even 6 left. And im very very happy with that. They are all 1/2 inch or bigger, mainly bigger. Eating a steady supply of ghost shrimp.

Urgent!! :frown: the smallest of the 6 left was dinner tonight:frown::frown: now I'm down to 5, and for some odd reason they don't seem interested in the ghost shrimp much anymore? Any ideas? They are getting big, I have contemplated releasing them into the main tank but still too early yet. Everything is great. I'm feeding them about 1 time a day because thats all they seem to want??:frown: any suggestions on further steps that need to be taken? 5 is a really good number in my mind, even though I would have loved the 8:smile: but I think 5 will be very good for the 75 reef.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back