150 gallon tank, Any Suggestions?

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be okay if I bought sand from Home Depot that isn't alive. I know that it would take longer to cycle the tank but it would be cheaper. I would obviously rinse it off first.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
That's what we've done with most of our tanks actually. Unfortunately I think the type we have used in the past was discontinued. If you can find it though, it's 50lbs for $5. Pavestone brand Crushed Limestone, mostly calcium carbonate and magnesium.

There's a lot of arguement as to whether or not silica sand causes severe diatom outbreaks (ugly stuff).

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
I can take care of that stuff. I took care of an outbreak the other day. I just took the head off of the siphon and sucked it off the rocks, then I did a water change. I don't worry about that stuff.

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
we had that problem in the 75 a couple of months ago and we took care of it the same way and it hasn't come back.

Oh, and my mom decided that she wants to dismantle the 75 and put everything in the 150 so I am back to square 1.

I have a 65 gallon tank, and I am going to build a stand for it. This is probably for the better because I'll save money on the rocks and sand and I'll be able to put that money into a new stand. I'll be able to make the stand myself. The creative juices are already flowing.

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, I want bigger, I am going to buy an even larger tank and make the stand, probably about 100 gallons. I already have the design in my head.

I need to know what would be good for a 100 gallon and what size sump would I need.

And the 65 is going to be a food tank for picky puffers that I have. They refuse to eat frozen silversides. They are used to live brine shrimp from the store. The bigger one is nipping at the other.

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
I needed money and my mom won't let me get a job so I decided to blog and I get 50 of the money made from ads.

forever27

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
chaostheory;130725 said:
we had that problem in the 75 a couple of months ago and we took care of it the same way and it hasn't come back.

Oh, and my mom decided that she wants to dismantle the 75 and put everything in the 150 so I am back to square 1.

I have a 65 gallon tank, and I am going to build a stand for it. This is probably for the better because I'll save money on the rocks and sand and I'll be able to put that money into a new stand. I'll be able to make the stand myself. The creative juices are already flowing.

It's a never ending issue as AM said because silica based sediment is formed from diatoms and radiolarians. Calcium carbonate is just limestone or aragonite.

zach jay

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
usually you can find live rock for ~$2-3 a pound from people dismantling their tank. i've never spent more than $3 a pound doing it this way. you just have to be patient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hnxccv

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards