150 gallon tank, Any Suggestions?

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
For Christmas I am getting a used 150 gallon fish tank. I did some estimates and it will cost around 125 dollars for some improvements. I am getting new lights for the sump, I am keeping the crappy ones up top for now.

The sump isn't very large so I decided to make my own wet / dry filter by an aquarium mesh material down on a steep angle in a bucket and shining a light on it so algae grows as water trickles down.

I also have a skimmer I made myself. My mom used it on her 75 gallon tank. She bought a newer one so I got mine back (it was over cleaning her tank)

My only concern is that it has to have an overflow. I am going to have to octo proof the tank and that is going to be the only annoying part.

I either want a huge octopus which is harder to find and more expensive to feed and maintain, or I could get a smaller one but I need to find out what fish could go with it.

I think I might get the same species as Animal Mother because I think he said something about having fish in his tank with it.

I forgot to mention that somebody gave us the tank for free. They are the richest people in town.

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Because I am getting this tank I have to move to the garage because If something happens to it, the wood floors would be ruined. This will work out fine because my mom is pregnant again. She has us spaced out so when the baby is born she will have a 15 year old, an 8 year old, and a new born baby.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I would go for the vulgaris as well if you can find one (Tampa Bay Saltwater sometimes has them). If not the briareus would be a good choice (Joefish' Connany was quite large) but note that AM offered a chromis as a Thanksgiving treat, it was not a tank mate for long.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
chaostheory;130180 said:
For Christmas I am getting a used 150 gallon fish tank. I did some estimates and it will cost around 125 dollars for some improvements. I am getting new lights for the sump, I am keeping the crappy ones up top for now.

The sump isn't very large so I decided to make my own wet / dry filter by an aquarium mesh material down on a steep angle in a bucket and shining a light on it so algae grows as water trickles down.

I also have a skimmer I made myself. My mom used it on her 75 gallon tank. She bought a newer one so I got mine back (it was over cleaning her tank)

My only concern is that it has to have an overflow. I am going to have to octo proof the tank and that is going to be the only annoying part.

I either want a huge octopus which is harder to find and more expensive to feed and maintain, or I could get a smaller one but I need to find out what fish could go with it.

I think I might get the same species as Animal Mother because I think he said something about having fish in his tank with it.

I forgot to mention that somebody gave us the tank for free. They are the richest people in town.
The one I kept with fish was an Abdopus aculeatus, they are on the small side. 150 might be a bit big for it, although it would surely have a lot of range to explore.
As D just noted, my briareus' fish company did not last long. I would suggest a briareus for that size of tank.

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
I'll do research on the Abdopus, Vulgaris, and the briareus and make an educated decision.

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
It is really hard doing research that specific because I have to sort through the vulgaris acne problem and most websites are unspecific. Aren't there articles here on TONMO.COM?

chaostheory

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to get a smaller species of octopus because I am short on funding and a small octopus would be happier with less rocks than a larger one. Setting it up is going to cost a lot. I can't afford 100 lbs of live rock.