• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

robertD;196442 said:
Can anyone tell me a good sight I can buy an bimac octopus and have it sent to me in Vegas?

I have been getting them in occasionally, I pretty much have a standing order for them with everyone I know, lol.

If you are in the market for a temperate Octopus species though, I have a young Octopus Rubescens in my holding system right now.

Its for sale at http://coldwater-marine-aquatics.myshopify.com/products/east-pacific-red-octopus-octopus-rubescens

If you want it same day shipped and can pick it up from the Las Vegas Airport I can send it by Southwest Airlines Cargo for cheaper than next day Fed Ex or UPS.

Oh WOW!!! Notice the eye spots! This is MOST likely O. maya given the common name. In better financial times I would grab it in a heart beat but a 70 gallon may be too small. As it is I am getting two tomorrow and might have housing issues down the road even if I could afford it. I hope one of our members acquires it and journals!!!!

After reviewing the picture, looking in Norman and considering "Mexico", I am changing my guess to O. hummelincki. Hummelincki are common in the Gulf and I am guessing this may have come from the Yucatan area. Additionally, there is a sometimes visible diamond pattern below the eyes that I have noticed on my hummelinckis and it is almost visible above the two white ovals (that I don't recognize). I believe (having never seen one) that O. maya has distinct veining and looks more like O. vulgaris with prominent but low stalked eyes. In the pictures, the eyes are low stalked but do not have the very rounded sockets that make it look like vulgaris. Additionally :biggrin2: Maya (her name) was purchased from Live Aquaria and was supposed to be O. maya but was O. hummelincki.

tickandbone,
You can check with Tom to see if he has any available. The crabbers are complaining a lot this year that the octopuses are eating their catch so he likely gets them in regularly. If that option does not work, PM sirreal and see if you can work something out as he has shown an interest in helping other keepers (and the would be bait octopuses) but has yet to try shipping one.

From the eyes I would venture to guess the picture is of a nocturnal dwarf but WHICH part of the Pacific (US or Indonesian) would make a big difference on guessing further. They used to get many of their octos from Haiti (most were O. hummelincki) but that trade still seems quite disrupted from the earthquake. The Philippines has been a popular spot for a lot of animals coming from the west coast. There is a dwarf from the California area but from photos (I have not seen one), it heavily resembles O. mercatoris and has shorter arms and less prominent eyes. From the Philippines, O. bocki is a possibility and the eyes suggestive of this possibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back