• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Tentacle Toast;194731 said:
gpx1200- NY Aquatics is pretty consistent then, in your opinion? I ask only because that's most likely where I'm going to get my octopus when I'm ready for it. I'm only about a 7 hour drive away. You had good dealings with them? Also, are you within driving distance, or did you have them shipped to you?
i drove about 7 hrs to pick mine up and i believe it was worth it eshpecialy since i was able to talk him into selling me 2 for $30 each but at this point i think i'd wait untill after the holidays becouse of the extra trafic my octos will only be geting fidlers and frozen food for the next month becouse i'm not going into boston to get grass shrimp untill after christmass. i'd say i had prety good dealings with them and will deal with them again. when i went their they had 5 octos and all looked to be the same species and he said he only gets them from one distributer, my larger octo was about 6inches arm leingth(just 1 arm) the smaller was about 4 but they are now easaly 6-7 and the larger one is now probably 8in

Thank you kindly for the feedback! I'm thinking it won't be before March that I'll be ready anyway, so the (extra) traffic shouldn't be a concern. Once again, thanks for the input!

Tom from toms Caribbean emailed me today and said he has a octo in. He said mantle size is 1 1/2" and could be a vulgaris, his guess is 6mo to a year old.

Tom is a great source I have purchased several animals from him. and actually met him on a number of occations as he does not live too far from me.

with a mantle of 1 1/2" i really dont think this animal is a year old, or even 6 months, 4 to 5 maybe. The Vulgaris I got from Tom grew to be huge. She came with a 4" mantle and lived an additional 6 months. the journal is here:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20328-Penelope-O-Vulgaris

I checked him out, & he's definitely on the list of potential sources. I'm leaning more towards NY Aquatics for the simple reason that it's within driving distance (plus they seem to be on the up & up according to members here that have dealt with them). My rationale is in minimizing uncontrollable shipping conditions as much as possible. Is this folly?

Tentacle Toast;194747 said:
I checked him out, & he's definitely on the list of potential sources. I'm leaning more towards NY Aquatics for the simple reason that it's within driving distance (plus they seem to be on the up & up according to members here that have dealt with them). My rationale is in minimizing uncontrollable shipping conditions as much as possible. Is this folly?
i don't think so at all. i'd be willing to bet the shipping experience is prety much the most stressfull thing that ever happens to any of our tank inhabitants except mabie the fidlers i feed to my mantises, they always rip off the big claw and eat it first while the crab waches:shock:

Am I correct in surmising that Tom is a preferred source for much of the staff here at TONMO?

I would say he is definitely one of them. I like him because he is very reliable, reasonably priced, and very close to me.

D is associated, through her webmastering, with Tom and three or four other wholesalers in the keys that all work together which include Cramer's caribbean critters, Toms Caribbean, and mostly K&P aquatics, probably others too. I'm not sure how exactly they all work together but I've ordered from CC critters and received shipment from Toms Caribbean, and I met Philip from K&P aquatics and he was driving Tom's truck and trailer. They're like one big happy Fish family down there :roflmao:

Hmmm...that may be the direction I lean then. New York is about 7 hours from me, so I figured a pick-up would be a benefit somehow. Thank you for that tidbit, kind sir, much appreciated. I swear, I'm planning my first octopus as though I were planning the marriage of my first born...

Too much credit CaptFish :roll:. I know Kara through Kara's Dad (Ken Nedimyer) and helped Ken establish SealifeInc on the web then helped with the original Coral Restoration Foundation sites but now only webmaster and help coordinate the foundations AdoptACoral program. I still do a few things for Sealifeinc/KPAquatics but only on a rare occasion. I have met Tom only briefly and Dana (CC Critters, Tom's nephew) not at all. I also helped Island Marine Life out a bit but Lynn has retired from the trade. They do all coordinate some of their shipping and travel arrangements but are friendly competitors that stay involved in the collection business to keep it and collection methods healthy.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back