• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

I'm sure they'll get more, if we ask.
The posting says that the octopus they are selling has a head the size of a dime, and it's only $55 shipped. It also says you can ask for other animals, and the combined shipping on everything you buy will be $40 total. With a little research, you can probably identify and ask for some compatible species, and get them for cheap (gorgonians, worms, ???)

Capt, I actually think it was A. marginatus, definitely not taken by the seller. I hope the purchaser finds us so that we can learn more about the new source as well as how well it ships from PR.

edit: I KNEW I recognized the photo!

I failed to read the description somewhere along the line :oops:. I THOUGHT I read it was O. briareus but must have confused it with Alex's post. I hope we hear from the new keeper as I am even more curious now. We have not seen many mercs lately and I have finally broken down the tank I typically use for them but other arrangements could be made :roll:

I'm thinking about grabbing a octo from nyaquatics, I emailed the company and got a response back yesterday. He said its a " reg. Bali octo" with 6" arm length. Any ideas?

Jake

Here's the pics he just sent me.

Jake

Attachments

• conv_300563.jpg
    conv_300563.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 135
  • conv_300564.jpg
    conv_300564.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 182
The ebay seller replied to me immediately however I am not sure he speaks english very well..He kept referring to me as 'friend' and couldn't understand that I was part of a group that was octopus centered despite multiple emails back and forth..He kept refering me to his ebay store and that he didnt have any additional info on species and wasnt willing to send pictures if/when he got more animals..

Maybe someone else will have better luck?

Bill

i got these guys from ny aquatcs and they are doing well, i see them bolth just about every day, the smaller one(he was smaller) is just about abale to be hand fed and he will come out and pounce on the glass if i show him a crab outside the tank, the larger one is still more reclusive but he is coming around slowly.
i belive they are bolth a. aculeatus they wer also called "bali" indoneasan species by ny aquatcs he told me he get all of them from the same suplyer and theyr allmost allways the same species
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?28325-2-new-octos-aculeatus-mabie

gpx1200- NY Aquatics is pretty consistent then, in your opinion? I ask only because that's most likely where I'm going to get my octopus when I'm ready for it. I'm only about a 7 hour drive away. You had good dealings with them? Also, are you within driving distance, or did you have them shipped to you?

...although I've never been burned on an eBay transaction (or Amazon, or etsy, or the ilk), I'd be reluctant to purchase live animals from such places. It seems like one should do as much research on where they're planning on sourcing their animals, as the animal's care requirements themselves! I wish it were possible to say "I want a Hummelincki", & be able to go to (or order from) a supplier that can, with some degree of certainty, say "I have a Hummelincki for sale", instead of the current situation where these guys call theirs "balis", & they tend to be this, & those guys call theirs "balis" & they tend to be that...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back