Yorkshire coast ammonites

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by neuropteris, Jun 28, 2004.

1. neuropteris

neuropteris GPO Registered

Hello all

Further to the Pathological ammonites thread here are a few more (non pathological) ammonites from the Lias of the Yorkshire coast in the UK. Collected over a period of about 5 years from Ravenscar, Kettleness and Hawsker Bottoms

Best wishes

Andy

2. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Great fossils Andy 8)

That picture of the Hildoceras has me re-evaluating my post on the Pathological Ammonite thread. :roll: more study is needed :?

3. spartacus

spartacus Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Andy, mmmmmm very nice :mrgreen: every time I see pictures like these I start hearing voices !
    The specimens in the nodule are sooooooooooo elegant :D

4. neuropteris

Hello Spartacus

Glad you liked them. Here are a few more - there's a great variety of species on the Yorkshire coast but it seems 90% of what I find are Dac commune! Obviously need to put more time in to get the rarer ones. Here's hoping for more cliff falls this Winter (though not when I'm under them!)

Best wishes

Andy

PS If anyone wants to correct any of my identifications please feel free.

5. spartacus

Hi Andy/all, more nodule-tastic stuff from oop north ! :thumbsup:
    I only got into the fossil thing early last year having always had a soft spot for ceph kind since I can remember & have been hoovering up info, images, web sites etc. non-stop since then. The amount of quality info is almost as overwhelming as the variety of ammonoids to be found in the UK alone, regardless of places like Utah (subtle plug for Kevin & his great site). I have to admit to having seen a considerable no. of Dac. commune over the past months they must lie about the Yorkshire beaches like leaves in Autumn ! :wink:
    The main problem with this hobby is time & the lack of it !!

6. Architeuthoceras

Thank You Spartacus :)

You gotta make time for cephs :D

7. spartacus

Most welcome chap,
    out of interest, are the specimens on the site all part of an enormous collection belonging to your goodself or just representative of the area ?
    (I'm sure it probably says but I'm here & not there at the moment)

Wait 'til I thro' with 9 to 5 & am chez Spartacus dans la France ! you should see my list of places to tap up ! :bugout: c'est magnifique !

8. Architeuthoceras

They are the property of the people of the United States of America. They are in my care and for my personal Use.

They were all found and/or collected by me on property owned by the Public and administered by either the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) or the United States Forest Service (USFS). Or land formerly administered by the BLM that is now property of the State of Utah, or under control of the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument.

The Rules :)

9. spartacus

Can't argue with that & the rules seem fair enough. Does it function as planned in practice though ?
    questions, questions, sorry :D

10. Architeuthoceras

There are over-zealous environmentalists who think no stone should be overturned, and over-zealous commercial shellers who would like the whole desert turned into a open-pit, and all those equally spaced from one end to the other. The rules are ever changing. The battle rages on. :yinyang:

11. Architeuthoceras

12. neuropteris

Wow - really nice stuff there. I really must get out to the coast more!. I've bought some of Mike Marshalls ammonites myself. His prepping work is very good (certainly better than mine) and its a fairly economic way of getting nice specimens of the rarer species. A round trip to the coast for me costs about 20 pounds in petrol so if I can purchase a good one from my required list for about that amount I'm happy (although its not as much fun obviously!)

How did you find the site? I put "yorkshire coast fossils" or variations thereof into google fairly frequently but have never turned this one up.

Attached is another one of my Yorkshire specimens, a bit younger than the Whitby material this time - its a Simberskites from the Cretaceous age Speeton Clay

Best wishes

Andy

13. Andy Lister

Andy Lister Vampyroteuthis Registered

I found hundreds of ammonites about half way between Scarborough and Whitby when I was stuck at the bottom of a cliff waiting to rescue a baby Seal. Good hunting along there, lots of organised trips in Robin Hoods Bay!

14. spartacus

sheesh, last time I post any of my carp ! oh the humiliation :oops:
    where's the bin & my cheque book ?

15. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Oh Andy. let's have a look! We love this stuff. Please post some images, including the seal, if you have some.

16. spartacus

Andy Andy Andy Andy Andy ! :lol:

17. Hajar

Hajar Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Concretion full of Grammoceras

Reviving this very old thread here are three views of a prepared concretion from the Yorkshire coast showing 14 individuals of Grammoceras striatulum.

Attached Files:

Architeuthoceras, Terri and DWhatley like this.
  18. Architeuthoceras

Very nice fossil!

19. AndyS

AndyS Cuttlefish Registered

I´m back ! After a long absence from this forum I had to go through a lot of verifications and re-verifications of my account (I gladly did remember the e-mail address I had used !) but in the end it worked...
    So what do I do on my first post after umpteen years ? I bother you with a shameless plug in the service of self-advertisement.
    No, I´m not selling anything - at least not yet. But I´ve finally got myself together and started writing on my book about Yorkshire ammonites - in all seriousness ! My new blog at http:\\andysfossils.com is my diary on the road of writing this book, and if you like Yorkshire ammonites, I´m quite sure you will enjoy it !

AndyS

P.S. : Very nice group of Grammoceras, Hajar ! I find that most of these are actually Grammoceras thouarsense, the finer ribbed variety G. striatulum itself being somewhat rarer (allthough I can´t really diagnose this from your pictures, it´s just a general observation made on many Grammoceras I´ve found at Ravenscar)

Terri likes this.
  20. Terri

Terri Sepia elegans Registered

Welcome back AndyS! Thanks for posting the link to your blog...nice, I'll be following. Congrats on starting your book! :smile: