Yes, I am an absolute newbie...

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by starrsmith, Apr 6, 2010.

1. starrsmith

starrsmith Larval Mass Registered

OK! I am setting up an octo tank (40 gallon) I do have saltwater experience, a fab 28 gallon nano reef tank. I just set the 40 gallon up yesterday with live rock/sand and a fluval 305. I know I have to wait 3 months or more. My question is what kind of octo should I be looking to add? And where is my best source for purchase?
    I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot, and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

With a 40 gallon you could get an aculeatus and you can get them from liveaquaria.com. I would choose aculeatus for your first octo because they are diurnal and very social. The only down side is you will probably live 3-4 months, but octos only live about 1 year. I am not positive about this one but you could get maybe 3 or 4 mercs(dont know how to spell the whole name). They are nocturnal and all the people on tonmo has never gotten any of them to adapt to light.

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO! I'm sure others will chime in, but I'd also recommend reading the journals of other octo-keepers.

4. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Im getting an aculeatus for my 40. I would pick 1 aculeatus over 2-3 mercs. I want an interactive octo over many uninteractive. Although octos are just great in general, whats the difference between a cool fish and an uniteractive octo (metaphoricaly). I think interactive octos are like a mix between a fish and a dog or cat. (again not literaly). So anyway I would reccomend aculeatus. Oh and by the way, Welcome :D

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

One way to get a little exposure to the different species is to look through the journals. If you will visit FORUMS->Journals and Photos, then List of our Octopuses, 2008 -2010, the species are listed and attached to a journal link for that specific animal.

6. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Yes, the journals are a good way to see typical behavior. Just rember, the journals dont show time, so a journal with 15 posts doesnt mean the octo died after 15 days. It could have lived a year and a half or 1 day.