Varys' babies (O. mercatoris)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, I have tried over and over with the frozen (I still have a supply of PE mysis from keeping seahorse and feed it to the other tanks) of all sorts. I have tried every thing from frozen clams, krill, squid to a mixed assortment and it all gets blown back. I have even tried soaking the mysis in Cyclop-eeze - no takers.

Reaction score
Here's a shot of Solo this morning as he was chowing down on a frozen mysis... He's still very skittish and ran away when I tried to feed him a second one. He ate his second tiny hermit last night and I know he hunts pods on his own. He also seems to be missing several arm tips. I think I remember someone saying bristleworms were known for that... it may be time to wage war on them.

Attachments

Nancy

Staff member
Reaction score
You're getting such wonderful photos - how are you taking them? They don't seem to be at night.

Nancy

Reaction score
Thanks Nancy! All of the photos have been taken during "no-light" or "red-light-only" periods in the tanks. I use a Nikon Coolpix 4500 with a single flash and manual focus on the close-up setting.

Reaction score
Just a short clip of Solo eating the mysis... this was taken at the same time as the photo above.
NOTE: Your browser may still be downloading even though it says "Done" at the bottom, so give it a minute.

Reaction score
Thanks Dread. :biggrin2:

Here's another short clip of me petting one of the baby mercs several weeks ago. I was cleaning the tank and removing some of the excess macro algae when this little-one came from somewhere and spent a few minutes out while the lights were on. I think they were about 6 weeks old at the time?

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea if that was Tarzan or at least one that is still alive? The only confirmed dead in my CB brood (i.e. the ones whos bodies I found) were the ones that I had high hopes for being able to be out in the early evening lighting.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have no idea if that was one of the survivors at all. However, Tarzan has let me make very brief touches before he slides away in a similar manner. The baby in that clip only spent about 5 minutes out before it headed back under the rock. It was buried deep in the mass of macro under a rocky overhang for the day and I just happened to shake it out. It wouldn't have been out otherwise. I didn't include the entire session in that clip, but we actually did three of those "pettings" in a row before I decided to quit and the baby crawled under the rock. It never spooked though... just crawled away.

I should probably note that when I moved some of the babies to the new tank, I was specifically grabbing those in shells (Shelby) and those that were on the walls who didn't run from me when I tried to feed them (Tarzan). They are both very easy to feed. The more cryptic ones simply weren't as easy to catch, and I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that the 3 in the big tank are less shy than Solo. I have to be very careful when feeding him so that he doesn't get scared, drop his dinner, and go hide.

Here's another short clip from around the same time as the petting video. If you look closely, you can see the baby reaching up into the pipette and scooping out the cyclopeeze. I hope to be getting tiny fiddlers today, so we will see how the babies react to a "gourmet" meal. :wink:

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mick West

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean