Twin spot octopus

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi recently got a juvenile twin spot about 2 weeks ago. His mantle is about 1 1/2 -2 inches. I had him in a critter container until he ate frozen then released him to tank. His second in tank he is exhibiting some behavior I have never seen!! I have a rock partially buried in sand. He dug a hole under rock and seems to be making a den under it? I had one before and he never done this? Is this normal for them? Thanks

Attachments

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Really no responses? Well anyway out of like 6 different species I have had( 10 total) this is unusual behavior but I guess they each have their own behavior lol. I was really nervous that he was going in senescence. Here is pic!! Thanks

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Glad he is doing well! :biggrin2:

Denning is not unusual... sounds you like have a happy two-spot / bimac on your hands!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tomh,

Where did you get your two spot octopus? They’re hard to find for sale.

Nancy

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nancy , I could be wrong but I think you asked me the same thing about the last one I had. A friend lives in CA and he caught him for me. Thanks

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I think I did. I keep asking because I hope we turn up a new source for the bimac, which is such a good species to keep. Not many of us have friends in California who will catch octopuses for them!

Welcome to your new octopus!

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I've only kept one bimac but I don't think he burroughed. You might try adding a container for it to try as a den or rearrange the existing rock (but not his current denning rock) as he may find your LR caves too big/small. They often do not seem to choose the dens we try to make for them.