• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tropical octopus species for mid-sized tank

Vindicus

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all,

Recently picked up a used tank from work that would suit itself well to being escape-proofed and I've been considering trying an octo at home. The tank is approximately 280 gallons and measures 72"x30"x30" (182x76x76cm). I would prefer a mid-sized species that I can interact with, as I used to be able to play with a GPO at my old job and I miss it. However, I'd rather not run a chiller on this tank for a number of reasons, foremost among them the fact that I'm setting up a large reef nearby that will be drawing a lot of power, especially with its own chiller, and I'd rather not risk tripping breakers by running a second, so a tropical species that will be happy in the mid 70s is a necessity.

A little background on myself and my experience level:
I've worked with fish and exotic animals for years now, both at home and at various jobs, including several years spent volunteering at an AZA facility where I occasionally worked with a GPO. Currently I work for an aquarium maintenance company and am in charge of a 30,000 gallon saltwater aquarium. At home I mostly keep freshwater fish, reptiles, and amphibians, but I've done some saltwater as well.

I tend to be most interested in rare or difficult to keep species as I enjoy the challenge they present, and as such I'm half tempted to just set the tank up for a mimic or Wunderpus at some point down the road. For now though, a larger species I can safely interact with would be preferable not just because it would be more fun for me, but because it would make providing enrichment for the octopus easier as well. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

I am not 100% on size requirements but I believe you may be able to house an O. cyanea in that tank. Kanaloa is an octopus farm in Hawaii that may be able to supply one and provide the proper tank sizing, temps and food needs.

Thanks guys. Cyanea is definitely one of the species on the short list, thanks for the source! Has anyone successfully kept marginatus? Might give that one a shot down the road.

I can't get anyone to collect marginatus for me. I have tried several times and ended up with a lot of octos that weren't marginatus. Boo

I am not 100% on size requirements but I believe you may be able to house an O. cyanea in that tank. Kanaloa is an octopus farm in Hawaii that may be able to supply one and provide the proper tank sizing, temps and food needs.

This is your best bet IMO based on your OP. They are what I call the octopus of octopuses - strong, inquisitive, and like interaction. They will try to get out!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back