TONMOCON VI Monty Award Winner

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by tonmo, Oct 11, 2015.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

As announced at the end of the event yesterday, our winner is...

@Taollan (Kirt Onthank)

As announced / presented at TONMOCON VI:

Indeed, congratulations! And well-earned.

DWhatley likes this.
  2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Congratulations Taollen!

Taollan likes this.
  3. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

TONMO COMMUNITY: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

This community has been so important to me as I have developed as a ceph biologist. Throughout grad school I never studied in a "cephalopod lab" (my master's advisor was a crustacean guy and my PhD advisor was a hydrothermal vent annelid worm guy). Normally people make connections with other people in their field through their major professor, and that never happened for me. I have had to make those connections on my own and TONMO was my most valuable resource in doing that.

I have relished the conversations I have had here and the people I have met. In remembering all of that, and the namesake of this award, I went back through the archives and browsed some of my old interactions with Monty. I remember one particular conversation with him and others about why cephalopods never invaded freshwater. I remember thinking how this was the kind of conversation I could have in virtually no other venues, especially not being in a "cephalopod lab" myself. I actually sent Monty a copy of my masters thesis before my defense for his comments. He sent it back with some great insights that no one on my committee had brought up (none of them were ceph people...).

TONMO brings together such an amazing mix of hobbyists and biologists, making it such an unique and amazing community. There are so many people here with deep love and curiosity of cephalopods and such experience in keeping them in home and professional aquaria. I have been so fortunate to have been a part of it for the last 10 years.

So once again: Thank you TONMO.

Tintenfisch, DWhatley, Terri and 2 others like this.
  4. Terri

Terri Sepia elegans Registered

Congratulations Taollen!!

Taollan likes this.