TONMO Guitar Picks

Discussion in 'Culture' started by tonmo, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

image.jpg

Co-worker with a high end 3D printer making me some prototypes :smile2:

2. Spirula

Spirula Cuttlefish Registered

Those look awesome!

I actually want to make some guitar picks on the laser-cutter but have to pick a material to use.

3. tonmo

Yeah, he is using some newer plastic material which is very firm yet has some give. I tested out with a plain, sanded version (the above is not sanded) over the weekend, and it worked great! I forgot the name but I'll find out and report back when I share the next rev of this.

4. Spirula

Spirula Cuttlefish Registered

They look like they were printed with an FDM printer (the type that basically works like a super fancy, amazing hot glue gun) so it was probably PLA (polylactic acid) or maybe ABS. The laser-cutter's a bit different since it takes a sheet of material (as opposed to an FDM printer which would take filament which is like a "string" or "wire" of plastic). I just haven't had the time to look into it since there are limitations on the plastic you can use in the laser-cutter. One of these days... :p

Look forward to seeing the updates on this though :) Have you been doing the design? If not, you might have fun playing around on Tinkercad (though I don't know if you can do two-color designs0! And, if you haven't seen thingiverse, looking at that too!

Part of the reason I never 3D printed any picks was because I thought they might break given the way the material gets deposited - glad to hear they're working!

5. anothersquid

anothersquid O. bimaculoides Supporter

I was wondering on Facebook... would cuttlebone make a good guitar pick? A friend of mine suggested it might be too abrasive on strings. I thought it might be a bit brittle... but if anyone would know, I'm guessing someone here would.

6. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

It would just crumble into bits. But if you wanted to try, just go to the bird section of the pet store. Cuttlebones are used in bird cages, so birds can file their beaks.

7. tonmo

There is something romantic about using a cuttlebone as a guitar pick :smile:. Perhaps if it were coated in some kind of apoxy or something...

Picks come in various forms and are measured in terms of thickness, and most will offer a bit of give (depending on the thickness). I prefer mine on the heavier side (.88 dunlops for example; I'm not sure of the material) so there's just a bit of give. However, Queen's Brian May uses a 6-pence coin as a pick and I've seen quarters used as well, so pliability isn't a hard requirement.

8. tonmo

here is a recording of me using that pick, [edited: Lochloosa by JJ Mofro]

:smile2: :band: :rolleyes:

Attached Files: