• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Things don't always turn out the way you think they will!

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
A 55mm stomatopod (Gonodactylaceus glabrous) meets a large blue-ringed octopus (Hapalochlaena sp?). I was trying to see how fast the venom (TTX) from the octopus would kill the stomatopod. The stomatopod evaded the initial pounce by the blue-ring, swam up into the water column and made two quick dive bombing attacks, each time striking the blue-ring on the dorsal mantle. The blue-ring fled the scene! I've seen several species of stomatopod deal with octopus in this same fashion fighting up in the water column launching attacks from above.

Roy

Attachments

• conv_305279.jpg
    conv_305279.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
I remember one such experiment :biggrin2:. I take it that the large BR was not the mantis' dinner but did it just go into hiding after the octo left? Did it appear that the mantis was aiming for between the eyes when it attacked? Are you going to post a video :sagrin:?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back