• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

The cephalopods can hear you - BBC News

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

[SIZE=-2]BBC News[/SIZE]

The cephalopods can hear you
[SIZE=-1]BBC News, UK[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The discovery resolves a century-long debate over whether cephalopods, the group of sea creatures that includes octopus, squid, cuttlefish and nautiluses, can hear sounds underwater. Compared to fish, octopus and squid do not appear to hear ...[/SIZE]

More...

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
Wow, the implications for cephalopod behaviour research are staggering.

I doubt that sound sensitivity is used for communication as there is no evidence that they can create acoustical signals. However, it could clearly function in predator avoidance and locating prey.

Thanks for the link!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
From what I can find out, at least some of human speech falls within the range that they can hear. So keep talking to your octopus :smile:

Nancy

kansas

Larval Mass
Registered
dag gone, I was hoping to post this as my first contribution to the Tonmo community! lol. Ah well, good job on finding it!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
You've gotta be pretty quick on the draw to beat the Octobot... it's a ceph news machine (literally)...

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Can someone give me an idea (using a common noise) to have an understanding of the frequency range? I am kind of assuming a low tone (I remember one member recently thinking his octopus could hear a particular music score but experiments did not confirm that the octo was reacting)

Members online