tank cycled now im waiting on my octo to arrive

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by 3000gtman, Mar 6, 2005.

1. 3000gtman

3000gtman O. bimaculoides Registered

Nov 8, 2004
    My tank has been up for 3 1/2 months. it is a 150 gallon with lots of live rock. i ordered octos from octopets.com on thursday. how long does it take for them to send??? also i was wondering if he would be good in a 1 gallon clear plastic jug for the first month or so. i have drilled several 1/4 inch holes in it for perfect flow. i will eventually let him out and roam in the tank after i get some damsels out and shrimp. but i hope with some advice u guys can help me out. the ph is perfect and the ammonia is down to 0. also the other water paramaters are perfect. i just need my octo's. well thanx for everyones help.
  2. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Dec 22, 2004
    Octopets is currently between generations, so we can expect to wait another 3-4 weeks for shipment.

A number of people seem to be putting their new arrivals in plastic critter cages inside their tanks. The holes are a good idea, but at 1/4" a baby with a 1" mantle might be able to sneak out??

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Nov 20, 2002
    Hi! 1/4" holes maybe an escape route!!! For flow, I put one of those tiny stick on the side filters run by an air pump inside the critterpen. Worked just fine and Lil Pumpkin lived in there for about 2 months. His size curled up was the size of a dime on arrival! He stayed in there until he was the size of a quarter curled.