Taking 'blood' from a squid...

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by bathypol, Jun 23, 2008.

1. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

This may sound like a bit of an odd question, but has anyone taken hemocyanin samples from squid before? Where is the best place to take the sample (arm? mantle muscle? heart directly?) Can you get anything from thawed individuals?

I'm heading out sampling soon and was thinking of getting as much data as I could.

Cheers :smile:

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I've never tried, maybe from freshly dead? You'd need to be very familiar with the circulatory system, but I would imagine one of the hearts or the Vena cava would be your best bet. What are you looking at?

J

3. bathypol

Thanks for the help Jean :smile:

I'm looking at Gonatus fabricii for stable isotope and fatty acid analysis. Since I'll be sampling them anyways, my supervisor thought taking some blood samples for protein work might be useful too.

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Are you going to be able to post any of your results. I have been trying to mark and save some of the components of bodily parts to then look at which foods (or skins aka, shrimp shell possibly) would provide proper natural "supplements" to the diet.

5. bathypol

The blood will be going to another scientist (if I can figure out how to get it) but I should be publishing the results once I sample some more. I have a few results, but they're only preliminary....I'll definitely let you know when I have something more conclusive :)

6. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I'd think Taollan is about the most up on the current physiology and metabolism researchers of anyone on TONMO, but the most likely candidate I can think of to have a direct answer would be Dr. Gilly or one of his students http://gilly.stanford.edu/home.html

7. bathypol

Thanks Monty :)