suggestions for a top cover?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by johnism, Apr 16, 2004.

1. johnism

johnism Blue Ring Registered

I am planning on getting a Bio after tank has cycled for 4 months ( at least ). Now it is an acrylic tank and these are the two openings ( I am assuming I would need to cover both - so no escape ). Any ideas on how to do this ( with out completely sealing the tank off)?
    Thanks for any ideas,
    John
    see image for tanks top view

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

super easy to do...go to a local glass/hardware store...have pieces of plate (1/4") glass cut to fit 1/2" larger than your openings. Done deal.
    What about filtration? are you going to drill the tank and put in a sump?
    greg

3. johnism

johnism Blue Ring Registered

tank is drilled ( all ready have an ideas for overflow cover ) and will be running a refuguim .
    I think I will do something like you suggested except in acrylic in one solid long piece from front to back .
    Thanks for the idea,
    John

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Hmmm...you might want to go with glass. Acrylic has a tendency to bow and bend severely after a month or two of exposure to salt water...leaving lots of room for an inquisitive octo to go for a jaunt...

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I can second that about the acrylic - am using an acrylic sheet as a cover for my 19-gallon invetebrate tank, and it has bowed a lot - no problem for that tank, but not a good way to keep an octo from escaping.

Nancy