Squid care

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Russ84, May 17, 2009.

1. Russ84

Russ84 Larval Mass Registered

hello everyone i am not sure if this is the right place to post this but i intend on keeping 3 or so small squid in captivity but can not find any infomation on the internet. i have read all of the articles on cuttlefish and i am guessing the care would be quite similar.

any squid specific info would be much appreciated
    thanks
    Russ

2. Nippel

Nippel O. bimaculoides Registered

hello russ,

as I know squid need very large tanks because they are swimming hunters, more than cuttlefish. In hollydas at eagypt I saw some kind of small squid thats fit into a 150-200g tank. A very nice and small squid, displays crazy colors around its body but i don't know where you can source something like that.
    Here at germany its very hard to get cuttles or octos, but squid? Thats something the shops never deal with.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi, and welcome to the site! :welcome:

How you need to keep squid depends on the species. Do you know which species you're looking for? Have you found a source?

See this thread about the bobtail squid - they are small and sometimes kept in home aquariums:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/10867/

Nancy

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: There's not really a specific squid place, since they're very hard to keep... you may want to look at the cuttlefish care section, and the bobtail experiences people have mentioned, and maybe the old threads on the squidcam.