Squid and Octopus spotting

Poster for a Local Bar here in S.FL

Attachments

• conv_300309.jpg
    conv_300309.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 147
Alton Brown on twitter likes to do analog replies to people... This was one a while back.

Attachments

• conv_300406.jpg
    conv_300406.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 169
What happens if you take a single one-foot-square piece of butcher paper and incredible skill and patience, and then begin folding? No cutting, no tearing allowed ... could you come up with this?

It is from this website. There are many more wonderful works in the same post, from an exquisite stag beetle to an alligator to three warriors from Middle Earth.

Attachments

• conv_300509.jpg
    conv_300509.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 297
This cute little octopus is the subject of some caption confusion.

The caption (from here) reads: "As you can see, this baby red octopus is tiny. So tiny, in fact, that it made its way into the Monterey Bay Aquarium and stayed there for a year before being discovered."

One has to wonder: The implication is that the octopus in the picture is more than one year old (it isn't, of course; O. rubescens would have arms tens of centimeters in span by that time) or that by some circumstance, it was photographed (on someone's finger!) a year before it was "discovered."

The picture and caption provide no further clues. Upon digging around, I discovered that the Monterey Bay Aquarium staff had caught the "fist-sized" creature back in June (crawling across the floor in the middle of the night), and it somehow wound up being a November picture of the week.

It is definitely cute, though. The article and image on Tumblr have nearly 4,200 notes as of this writing.

Attachments

• conv_300572.jpg
    conv_300572.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 356
I would say Roy Caldwell, Neogonodactylus, might know the full story. Thales also seems to be informed about the cephs over there....I'll put up the "Bat Signal" or "Ceph Signal" and make sure they see this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back