Shark attack on cuttlefish researchers

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by cthulhu77, Aug 25, 2005.

1. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

2. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

lol
    Cuttlefish have contracted with the local sharks for protection :)
    thats at least 2 divers that wont harvesting wild cuttle eggs.
    not to sound insensitive but like my friend always said
    "Never go ANYWHERE that you are not at the top of the food chain"

3. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry, but I can't find anything to laugh about concerning the loss of a life. Most biologist who study cephalopods do so with the ultimate hope that the information we gain will help us to understand and protect them. To do that requires the study of specimens. Unfortunately, the acquisition of animals or observations on them can at times be dangerous. Those risks are accepted. When they are unfortunately realized, we grieve for the loss of the life of a colleague and carry one - sadder, but with conviction that the best way to preserve this planet is to understand it.

Roy

4. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

I heard it on the radio in the afternoon, the word "Great White" always inspires fear and spreads the news quick.
    But still, it's nothing to laugh about and there are always those who are sacrificed in order for their cause and what they believe in.

5. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

yeah we are gonna have to disagree on this one
    I always get a chuckle when mother nature gets a little even on humantiy
    its not like we dont kill eachother by the thousands every day
    stuff like this should go almost unheard in the din of the daily killings we perfom on eachother as a species.

6. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Mizu,

I'd wager that Jarrod Stehbens's colleagues (out of whose hands Stehbens was apparently yanked) don't share your mirth. This was not an instance of Mother Nature taking vengeance upon man. Sharks do not care one way or another about us.

If a cephalopod researcher associated with TONMO were taken by a shark whilst collecting squid eggs, I rather doubt that you'd dare post such ghoulish sentiments.

Clem

7. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

No Mizu, as Roy said, I agree that a death of a researcher in the field is a dreadful loss. He was harvesting cuttlefish eggs for research purposes, it's not as if the cuttlefish are on the brink of extinction and he was depriving the marine environment of a unique species, or he was doing this for trivial or fiscal reasons. The poor diver's family, friends and colleagues are going to devastated by his loss. I'm sure he knew the risks when he went diving and was victim of an unfortunate set of circumstances. Perhaps his work was geared towards cuttlefish conservation and would have been of long term benefit to the animals?

I can find no satisfaction whatsoever in this tragedy, no matter the appreciation of cephalopods.

8. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Horrible and tragic for Stehbin's family. And ultimately a loss for us, too, as his work would have interested many TONMO readers.

9. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Of course we kill each other every day, for horrible and sometimes trivial reasons, and everyone of those deaths is a tragedy for the people who love the victims. And yes, people are much worse than any animal predator, particularly because we have the technology to kill so many at one time, and rarely do it for reasons of pure survival. That being said, how can the fact that we as a species are so horrible to our own make the death of one man who fell victim to a hungry shark less of a tragedy? We can grieve over the devastation that man wreaks upon the creatures of the wild and still mourn the death of one man who just happened to be there when that shark was hunting.

10. snafflehound@work

snafflehound@work O. bimaculoides Registered

11. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

According to a report on News.com.au, the researchers were diving in an area where fishermen chum the waters ("berley" is chum). I can't imagine the students would have gone into the water if they'd been aware of that fact. An awful twist to the story.

Clem

12. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I think you'll be alone on this one. I find taking glee at a persons misfortune, for whatever reason, to be icky.
    I think taking glee at the death of ceph researches on a site that is frequented by ceph researchers to be bad taste.

Do you chuckle when children are killed by mountain lions?

Animal attacks usually are covered very well by the news outlets.

13. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

This is awful, and my sympathies are with his family.

J

14. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

My sympathies are also with his family, his colleagues, and the Australian marine biological community as a whole. I'm glad his family has requested the shark not be hunted.

15. Thales

More on this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1067590

16. erich orser

This, according to reports, is a popular beach. Perhaps there ought to be an enforced ban on fishermen chumming so close to popular beaches.

17. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Hear hear!

Another thing that bothers me are the tourist companies who take diving tourists to feed sharks (not sure if it happens in Aussie but off Sth Africa I believe it does). This teaches the sharks to associate the human shape with food.......a bad move in my opinion.

J

18. Thales

Yeah - potato cod are one thing, but trains sharks to think food when the sense people seems like a bad idea.

19. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Well, it made me quite sad...I really love cuttlefish, and would have enjoyed buying him and his buds a set of pints, and talking about the little cephs...have to admire his family, with that amount of grief, and being able to see things the way he perhaps would have wanted them to....wow.

Nothing even remotely funny here though. This is a real blow to the world of ceph research.

greg

20. erich orser

Yes, not particularly responsible behavior. Boaters behaving irresponsibly in a manner that leads to an accidental death can be charged with manslaughter. Obviously I don't think retroactively prosecuting people for behavior they might not be aware is dangerous is a solution to anything, but enacting tougher laws, making sure they are well understood, and then enforcing them could prevent this sort of tragic incident recurring.

The ocean is a wild, unpredictable place. There are large predators out there that will view smaller creatures as prey; occasionally somebody is going to suffer an attack. While I certainly don't hold the shark in any malice I definitely do hold responsible anybody who is deliberately attracting them to populated zones. Chumming off a tourist beach?

To use the mountain lion analogy, that would be like hunters or sightseers leaving a trail of raw bacon leading up to a neighborhood playground!