Salinity

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by squall7733, Nov 2, 2005.

1. squall7733

squall7733 O. vulgaris Registered

Silly question.

I'm raising the temp of my tank while I'm cycling to make bacteria grow faster. When I lower the temp for the bimac, does the salinity of the tank go up or down as the water gets colder?

2. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Salinity would remain constant, as long as you don't add or remove water with a different amount of dissolved salt. If you put a kg of salt into a tank and it all dissolves, increasing or decreasing the temperature isn't going to make the salt come out of solution nor make more dissolve. You've added a kg and no more or less can dissolve than that.

Generally, temperature has little to do with the amount of dissolved ions in a solution, though granted temperature change is used to supersaturate a solution, but thats well beyond the scope of aquariums. Hope that helped and didn't confuse.

Cheers!

3. squall7733

Ah, I thought that specific gravity would change with temperature.

4. Feelers

Feelers Vampyroteuthis Registered

I believe that specific gravity does change with temp - based on my home distilling I know it affects the reading, so I think what happens is the reading will need to be adjusted for, just not the amount of salt in the tank lol. - could lead to problems :grin:
    For my homebrew the sg comes with a table with a variety of temperatures.

5. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

When I redid my tank, which had been full of feeder crabs, the salinity was off the scale. Don't know how this happened as I only add fresh as evaporation occurs. Crabs seemed to be fine in it though.

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

It does change slightly with temperature differentials, but only over a huge scale, not the small increments (+/- 3 degrees) that we work with...you should have nothing to worry about.

greg

7. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

The refractometer I have adjusts automatically to suit the temperature of the water to give an accurate reading.
    Very usefull because I often make up my saltwater mixes in my garage which is cold and the water temperature is often about 50 - 55deg F whereas my tank is about 78... obviously I heat the water up before adding to tank but water temp does make a difference to a hydrometer's readings

8. squall7733

That is my concern. My tank is 83F right now and I'm going to lower it to 68-70F before my octo takes it as a home, so my reading will change greatly. However, I know that salinity is a little low right now. 1.023, and I want it to be 1.026 when I add him. Will it rise with lower temperature, or would it go down?