• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

RIP Einy

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
I was waiting on a shipment of crabs so I got a dozen ghost shrimp yesterday afternoon, and last night saw him just hanging out, between some rocks, rubbing his arms around in a peculiar motion. He showed no interest in the shrimp running around him.
I noticed his mantle was very pale, his breathing seemed labored, and his arms curled tightly when still. I had a feeling it was his time.

Well, when I woke up this morning I turned Einy's red light on and there he was, laying upside down in the front of his home, motionless. :cry:

Now he resides in a small specimen jar of formaldihyde.

Next week I would have had him for 4 whole months. I assume he lived his life expectancy of 6-8 months.

Phuntoon

O. bimaculoides
Registered
:angelpus: So sorry to hear about Einy. It's never easy no matter how long they're with us. I still have my first Octo (bimac) from years ago in a specimen jar that I just refound last week at my mothers house. As much as it hurts to lose our little buddies, I find that my Octo tank isn't empty for too long....

R.I.P. Einy

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I sent a note thanking you for sharing Einey's adventures in April's thread before I saw this one. Einey's journal is something I have enjoyed following. I will miss your critter too.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
RIP Einey....Somehow I missed this....I feel the same...While I'm sad when one passes, I want another to continue to experience these unique and amazing creatures....

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Animal Mother, sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing Einy so diligently with us. We hope you'll get another one soon.

Members online