RIP Dottie

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by dbbga, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dbbga

dbbga Vampyroteuthis Registered

Very sad day :sad: :sad: Today of all days, I get a phone call from my daughter, Dottie has passed away :sad: I am totally dumb founded
    :confused: Params are perfect...... I am at a complete loss...... Heart broken, confused, my day is totally shot, I am so sad, coming home on Valentines Day and to loose the one thing I most want, has passed away is crushing, What went wrong??? What happened??? Everything was great!!!!!!! Tank is still fine!!! I had the water tested at the LFS!!!! I am devestated............

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear about Dottie. :sad: :angelpus:

I know how much you liked her.

The only thing I can think of is the food. Mabye she wasn't getting all the nutrition she needed. We have had several other recent mysterious baby bimac deaths, and I wonder if this is the case for all.

I will be looking into the food issue - Dottie refused to take frozen shrimp and other food that would be best for her and I don't understand why.

On the other hand, maybe some of the little ones just aren't as strong as others.

My sympathies,

Nancy

3. dbbga

thank you Nancy but right now i am just lost...........I am just lost

4. Barnstorm

Barnstorm Blue Ring Registered

Very sorry. From my experience with baby fish I know that sometimes all can be right in the environment but a percent still pass away.

I think you should try again.

5. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:sad: I'm very sorry to hear about Dottie too. Thinking of you.

6. dawnchihuahua

dawnchihuahua GPO Registered

I'm sorry-- My new baby octo died also... Such a sad week in octo-land

7. rcl

rcl O. vulgaris Registered

I am sorry to hear about the losses! I recently lost OCTOROK due to mysterious circumstances so I know how it feels. You did your best to give Dottie a good life and that is all that you can do! What matters is appreciating the time you do have and doing your best to prolong it.

:arr:

8. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Sorry to hear about both your losses, how long have you had Dottie?

9. Nancy

Condolences to all of you who have recently lost your octos.

Dawnchihuahua, the last we heard you were expecting a surprise octo for Valentine's day. Did the little bimac die in shipping?

I'm hoping for better news in the future.

Nancy

10. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Nancy,

let us know what you find out from octopets. I was hoping to make an order in the next few weeks but now I'm quite worried.

Dan

11. dawnchihuahua

Hi Nancy,

My little octo arrived on Friday and he was dead by Sunday. I don't know what happened to him-- The water was perfect, he had tons of caves, there were clams, ghost shrimp, and even a couple baby guppies for him to eat. He was fine the first day and the second, and the third I looked in on him and he was hanging out outside a cave, 20 minutes later he flashed black and was dead. ??? It's a mystery. I am going to do an 80 % water change, a few more pounds of live rock, and perhaps try again in a few weeks. Any suggestions for my second go around?
    Dbbga,
    Are you going to try again anytime soon?

12. dbbga

Right now i just dont know, im still in the sad stage :cry: I only had her for three weeks.... Sad how you put so much energy and love into it and something bad happens.... maybe soon i will have another one :wink:

13. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my sincere condolences.
    :angelpus:

14. pookie

pookie Pygmy Octopus Registered

sad sad story indeed,

I also received a baby bimac ''aquacultured'' only a few weeks old
    from a california supplier on the 7th and it lived 36 hours.
    I first thought it got stung by an aptaisia... but with this wave of bimac deaths... one could begin to think this is a weak batch of hatchlings!!!!

:oops: i cry along with you
    pookie

15. dawnchihuahua

I wonder if it might have something to do with the time of year? Maybe the areas they have to travel through to get to us are too cold for them. I noticed that the octopets place is in CA-- I am sure that ithey went through significant tempature changes to get to those of us who live all the way across the country. Mine (Xavier) left at 2:39 in the afternoon and didn't arrive til 20 hours or so later, that must have been stressful. Arugh. I am just at a loss for what could have happened. I am going down to the beach tomarrow at low tide hoping against hope that there will be a little octo waiting in a tide pool for me... I know that it's just a dream though, I have never seen one on the beaches here.

16. Nancy

I think the survival rate for the little bimacs is quite good. I believe there are more arriving in good shape than a few years ago, but we don't have accurate statistics to prove that. Shipping is not 100% and it isn't for any species of ceph - or maybe for any aquatic creature. We can't jump to conclusions.

Many of the little bimacs arrived in good shape and are doing quite well. It's unfortunate for those whose bimacs don't make it because they care for the little octos so much and have tried so hard to take good care of them.

I'll see what I can find out and whether there is anything else we can do to improve their chances.

Nancy

17. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

:boohoo: :angelpus:

R.I.P to all the cephs that went to heaven. :cry:

Maybe we should have a thread that adds the list of cephs that have gone to Paradises...just thinking....anyone want to make one?

18. Nancy

The thread at the top of Journals and Photos lists several generations of bimacs. I intend to add other species to this as well. (I don't usually include any that don't survive the shipping.)

Nancy

19. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

So sorry to hear of Dotties passing. Sometimes there are no answers...

Carol