Red Lights

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Are those the same as the colored coiled bulbs you can get at walmart?
Yes they are the same ones.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a light fixture that can alternate colors, or at least bulbs in use?

I have my light for daytime on a timer, and would like it if instead of turning the light off, it switched to redlight somehow.

The technology exists to build something like this, even in a DIY fashion which I may end up building if I can't find it - for the moment though, I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like this?

It would be very nice if I didn't have to manually do anything with lighting, and such a device should work even after a power outage

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently switched two tanks from PC's to 2 channel programmable LED's (note in 2010 I said I was S L O W L Y changing to LED's :roll:) with a built in timer (love them). Unfortunately, there are only blue and white lights so I still have to add a red night light and not use the built-in option (I did experiment with the blue moonlight and Shiitake did NOT like the blue, reverting to my red resulted in her coming out much more often almost immediately). For my largest tank (one of two with the new lights) I added this bubbler with the red lights from Marineland. There is a separate plug for the light and it can be set on a timer. The bubbles are not a great idea for octopuses but it can also be used as a light only fixture. With the bubbler and light on, my grandson asked why I had a fire in the tank and it does look a but volcano like.

I know there are places that will let you specify the LED color combination you want in a semi-custom light fixture but I don't know of any that give you this option and have programmable channels for each color (which is what you would need for an all-in-one). Doing a quick search I did see some with 3/4/5 programmable channels but there were only a few red lights added to blue or white for the channel you would want all red. If you could find a unit that would allow you to order the channel colors or easily replace the LED's in one channel, this would works for creating an all-in-one with a red night light. Alternately, if you could find a light with a separate moon light (ie moon light is not part of the daytime lighting) and could replace the LED's it would create a simpler solution. However, finding an aquarium light (ie one that is water proof) that allows for changing the LED's is a long shot. You might find plant lights with this ability but personal experience (and a bunch of fried connections) suggests this is not a good idea for both longevity and safety.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks DWhatley....looking into programmable LED's now, may end up getting a custom one. If I can't find someone to make it, I'll make it myself as a fun DIY project.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Getting a custom aquarium light made and I have a choice of types of red light:

I'm not sure but I would guess 'Far Red' is the best?
  • Red (625nm)
  • Deep Red (660nm)
  • Far Red (730nm)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could help but I have no clue. I have used a variety (including a red lens and red vellum), all with good success.

chad

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is where i should post this question, so with my setup i bought, the lights that came with can alternate between your normal daytime light and then it can switch to a kind of cobalt blue. My question is, does the blue lighting have the same effect for nocturnal viewing as red light? Or, if i get a nocturnal Octo, would i need to invest in red lighting?

Thanks,
Chad

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is where i should post this question, so with my setup i bought, the lights that came with can alternate between your normal daytime light and then it can switch to a kind of cobalt blue. My question is, does the blue lighting have the same effect for nocturnal viewing as red light? Or, if i get a nocturnal Octo, would i need to invest in red lighting?

Thanks,
Chad
If it is a nocturnal species the blue will be too bright, like daylight. I was interested in getting a custom light made, since they are not much more expensive than buying one outright, but none would be willing to do one that can alternate between red and white.

I ended up going with just the Marineland airbubblers with LED lights, as they can be used as just lights. I bought two of them for my 56 gallon cube tank which work perfectly so far.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
Radio Shack is going out of business and has everything priced half off. John just brought me some red water resistant LED strip lights. He sucks at regular gift giving, but I just never know when when I'll get something cool "just because..."

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Our Radio Shack has already gone. It was not much to begin with and won't be missed but Neal needed a soldering iron and solder the other day and discovered its absence. Ended up having to order on-line but our store was so bad it might not have had what he needed anyway.

Their parent company (no longer Tandy but I fail to remember the name) bought Marineland several years ago. I wonder how well that division is doing.

OctoSF

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes47