POST YOUR COLOSSAL SQUID QUESTIONS HERE

dwhatley;124383 said:
OB, does this suggest that females stop eating like a brooding octopus? That would kind of kill the idea that the female octo doesn't eat because food might contaminate the eggs (or has that theory been dropped already?).

Well, first and foremost, the atrophy thesis needs to be supported by more real life datapoints, but if it were to hold up to further scrutiny, it might also indicate a change of diet, not so much a stop eating altogether attitude. If Steve is right (ho-hum!), mature blobby females might not require active predation to meet their protein requirements.

dwhatley;124370 said:
.... I don't think they took the statolith from the large one since it appeared to be major dissection when Ku took it out of the damaged squid and this one was destined for display.

The statoliths were not removed from the larger specimen. The statoliths of the smaller specimen are frozen in my freezer, next to the steak, frozen peas, and ~ 100kg of Architeuthis gonads.:smile:

dwhatley;124373 said:
I don't recall if Steve ever pronounced them fertilize or not
Very immature D; a long way from fertilisation (and no spermatophores in the mantle).

ob;124387 said:
If Steve is right (ho-hum!), mature blobby females might not require active predation to meet their protein requirements.
:smoke:

... well, an Antarctic toothfish might usually swim 0.2m its body length a second, and can probably manage speeds of 3x body length per second for short bursts (to escape predation). We're not talking tuna here, so there's no need to think of Mesonychoteuthis as being a major, active predator. It feeds alright, but an Antarctic toothfish might sustain it for several days at least .... just think of a giant blob with muscular arms and blobby mantle making do with what it stumbles upon, and not letting go of it.

Steve O'Shea;124390 said:
The statoliths of the smaller specimen are frozen in my freezer, next to the steak, frozen peas, and ~ 100kg of Architeuthis gonads.:smile:

:yuck: I hope you pay attention when pulling out dinner and that things are wrapped well.

dwhatley;124383 said:
That would kind of kill the idea that the female octo doesn't eat because food might contaminate the eggs (or has that theory been dropped already?).

Hmm, I don't think I've come across this theory before (did I miss it somewhere else?), and it seems like an odd one... the food is contained within the digestive tract, so I'm not sure where the contamination would occur. The theories more often suggested (in squid at least) are that a) the gonads take up so much room in the mantle that there's no room for food in the stomach/caeca; b) the squid focuses all its energy on gonad & egg production and simply stops feeding; and/or the muscle tissues begin degenerating as the eggs mature, so that the animal is perhaps physically unable to pursue food anymore. Or any combination of the above. :smile:

Steve O'Shea;124390 said:
The statoliths were not removed from the larger specimen. The statoliths of the smaller specimen are frozen in my freezer, next to the steak, frozen peas, and ~ 100kg of Architeuthis gonads.:smile:

Do you have them marked with a "use by date"?

esquid;124436 said:
:yuck: I hope you pay attention when pulling out dinner and that things are wrapped well.

Well, I guess I am safe if I am ever invited to dinner. I should be able to tell the difference between squid parts and steak and I DON'T eat peas :razz:

People eat Rocky Mountain Oysters....I think guys think it makes them more macho. If you think about the symbolism, the giant squid oysters should be even more..... oh, never mind.

:archi:

Tintenfisch;124443 said:
Hmm, I don't think I've come across this theory before (did I miss it somewhere else?), and it seems like an odd one... the food is contained within the digestive tract, so I'm not sure where the contamination would occur. The theories more often suggested (in squid at least) are that a) the gonads take up so much room in the mantle that there's no room for food in the stomach/caeca; b) the squid focuses all its energy on gonad & egg production and simply stops feeding; and/or the muscle tissues begin degenerating as the eggs mature, so that the animal is perhaps physically unable to pursue food anymore. Or any combination of the above. :smile:

I recently read or heard the contamination idea (a couple of times but again within the last couple of days but I can't find the clip) and don't know if there was any science behind where the idea originated but my take-away impression was to think it was talking about loose bits of food contaminating the den. I was inclined to discount it but I have only grown out Mercs from one female and I was able to get both my females (mother and daughter) to eat through out the incubation so none of the theories fit my experience. I did find that, as the eggs were closer to hatching, only dead food would be accepted.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back