Possible blanket octopus?

Carnoferox

Hatchling
Registered
Recently a video has surfaced on YouTube purporting to be an unknown creature filmed by Thai fisherman.

A99B03BD-6EF8-4E70-A490-56ECC8032F29.png

01835330-3D88-42B6-AF65-D6AF6374977D.png

D4F43D14-0CC0-4CC7-9A07-BC25A197A32F.png

To me it looks like it could be a blanket octopus (Tremoctopus violaceus?) based on the markings on the webbing. I figured I’d post it here so anyone with more knowledge could try to identify it.

Attachments

• CEE381D7-2CB3-4752-BF91-EDFDC0C49C08.gif
    CEE381D7-2CB3-4752-BF91-EDFDC0C49C08.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 291
Hmm, good one! Reminds me very much of this thread:

Incredible read (some photos missing and links broken unfortunately) but the key conclusion is here:

Verdict, Tremoctopus violaceus. It certainly had me scratching my head. Thanks for everyone's input.

With that in mind, I think you're right!

@OB, @Clem, @Steve O'Shea

Upvote 0
Closed, wrt ID, for sure, but I would not readily suggest decomposition gasses to be present in a live animal. More likely, this surface dwelling behaviour in fully mature females might be connected to mating? The swelling is right where we’d expect the animal’s gonads to be, in the back of the mantle.

Upvote 0
found an old photo on this; I believe this was originally embedded somewhere in the original thread, but some of those old photos were missing from a server crash.

EDIT: APPARENTLY NOT? READ ON.....

Attachments

• IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
found an old photo on this; I believe this was originally embedded somewhere in the original thread, but some of those old photos were missing from a server crash.

That is actually a (likely) dead, partly eaten/
scavaged deep sea squid, such as Thysanoteuthis or even a somewhat smallish Taningia.

Upvote 0
Hmm, is that the case? I guess I've sullied a neatly closed thread... :-/ I can't find the original post, but I remember someone describing this very photo as being part of the series (i.e., mentioning the person on the boat with a camera in hand). I'll see if I can track it down. Is this creature unrelated to the original? I haven't scoured close enough / nothing jumped out at me to suggest it wasn't related...

Upvote 0
The original showed a dark blue T. violaceus, doin' its thang, all a bobbin' bottlenoziness; the animal in this picture is a large finned deep water squid, crimson, as could be expected :wink:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back