POGO project | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

POGO project

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
"Lots of cheap disposable devices can now be distributed throughout the oceans, in some cases on animals, in some cases on the sea floor, others drifting about," he told Reuters.

Taken out of context, he might regret phrasing it like this; don't we have enough rubbish in the oceans already? Of course he's talking electronic equipment for sampling/surveying, but I do recall one survey we did years ago (I had never done this survey before) where we deployed all manner of 'disposable devices', and vividly remember the number of bits/pieces of 'disposable device' we collected in our benthic sampling gear ... left over from previous surveys.

Cephalopodia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
A relatively good effort by GEO but I agree with Steve- we have enough trash and debris lying on the benthos as it is, we probably don't need any more 'non-degradable' stuff accumulating.
But I guess you can't have research and results without the technology and it's associated effects...:indiffer:

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards