PGO in a Boulder Den - Pink and Spiny Scallop Litter

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Tom Hlavac, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Tom Hlavac

Tom Hlavac O. vulgaris Registered

I encountered this PGO while exploring the rocks northwest of Dolphin Beach, north of Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC. There were a moderate amount of swimming scallops, and when I saw the midden of shells, I knew there was a den under the boulder. The typical tiger rockfish was close by. Let me know your thoughts, and I am interested in hearing from anyone researching PGOs.

2. Tom Hlavac

In the immediate area to the den, the scallops were in a band from 120 to 60 fsw, some deeper but few and far between.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Diver looks soooo cold! Nice to see healthy starfish.

4. Tom Hlavac

I was perfectly warm - I use a "Bare" surfing wetsuit, I love it. The drysuit divers can't stay hydrated, they can't self-warm ;), and I have great bouyancy control that is impossible to achieve in a drysuit. I swim more efficiently even though I am in worse shape than many of the drysuit divers around here. I bought the suit at a garage sale, costs is less than $0.50 a dive for the suit ($3.50 a dive for all my gear, plus about $2 for air - I get 60 dives plus a year out of a $125 air card at the local shop). Fairly cheap hobby really.

I do have a beautifully made "Sea Tux" drysuit (used by all the commercial seafood harvesters around here), but it hangs on the hanger most of the time.

5. Tom Hlavac

Quite a few starfish around, seems the big sun stars are the ones that died off.