Paroctopus Digueti (Pacific Pygmy Octopus) Perrier & Rochebrune, 1894

Discussion in 'Octopodidae' started by cthulhu77, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

We are currently in the process of fabricating a number of tanks for the captive rearing of this little guy. They tend to last less than a year in tanks, but I have never raised one from the egg, so it is hard to say just how long the lifespan is...in the wild, it is less than twelve months also. Pics will accompany progress, but here are a few from the last time we were at the mud flats:

[​IMG]

as you can see, they love to hide from the birds by taking over abandoned or eaten shellfish shells.

2. cthulhu77

and boy, do they have a food source! These are acres of hermit crabs...more than one could count !

[​IMG]

3. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Magnificent pictures!

I remember talking to someone at my university's oceanography school about octopus once...They often catch pygmys coming up on the gulf stream and put them in tanks. They sit all day staring at eachother through the opening of the clam shell.

I eagerly await any and all details about the hatchery!

Dan

4. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

5. agnoght

agnoght Larval Mass Registered

Raising drawfs

I believe we have a dwarf octopus with eggs. I started another thread and somebody gave me a link here (hopefully I can find this thread again.) Anyways some of the eggs hatched and now I have atleast 2 babies swimming arround my tank. I read that nobody is really having any luck raising the babies of this species past 2 monthes. Why? I don't know a lot about the F1 stage what is that? Any ideas about feeding? Right now I am using peppermint shrimp babies. I have 3 breeding peppermints to supply thier babies as food. I learned this trick from a seahorse website. The shrimp reproduce rapidly. I think I will add some skunk cleaners for the same purpose, plus pick up a different hawain shrimp species and some copepods for a varied diet. Has anybody raised this type of ceph to an adult?

6. cthulhu77

Congratulations ! Where are the cigars, though?
    "F" refers to the captive bred and born generation...hence, the first batch of captive reared babies would be F1's, and when they reach adulthood...if they were then bred, and produced viable offspring, that generation would be F2...and so on, and so on.
    We've managed in past years to raise the babies to near adulthood, but with heavy fatalities. If you have access to a lot of small critters, and it sounds like you do, you might have a lot of success.
    Keep us posted! Remember, digueti is an incredibly short lived species...seems to be around six months to a year.

greg

7. agnoght

Photo and more

I really hate the border issues and I love cigars. Since this octopus was wild caught someone told me it might fall under the Wild Species Protection act. How would I know where is the list of protected animals. Which was news to me. Since everybody on this thread likes this species of octopus and it sounds like it only comes from the Sea of Cortez maybe somebody will know if this species is protected? If it is I need to figure how to get the octopus we have back to where we got it, if I'm not allowed to keep it. It was collected on the beach by me and I'm only a hobbyist who once wanted to be a marine biologist. Does anybody know the process to get a wild octopus and attempt to use it for breeding without getting in trouble. It would be wonderful If could find another shell full of eggs and try to aquaculture these animals. I really love clownfish and now that they are tank raised I really feel like that species existance is secure. Oh by the way I got a photo of one but I file is to big. I will be working out the tech issues here soon.

8. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I don't know about Mexico and international issues, but in California you can apply for a permit from the Department of Fish and Game to collect animals from the wild. There are limitations on what type of octopus and where you can collect. You cannot collect from a protected area (when you receive your permit, they send you a map with the protected areas in California). You could also contact someone with a commercial collector's license in California and they could collect one for you. This, of course, does not help you with this species... but maybe it answers some of your questions... I hope :smile:

9. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Octopus diguiti is abundant in the Sea of Cortez, but getting them into the US is a horrific process. Permits are difficult to obtain and take months if not years to get. We gave up. There are a few commercial collectors and importers who have permits and I have seen a few O. digueti showing up, but that's about it.

Roy

10. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

11. agnoght

Thankyou for your replies

Thankyou for your replies. I will look into this issue, maybe I can get a permit and figure this process out. My wife is a lawyer in Mexico so I think I might have the upper hand here. The hard part I think is the US side of the border. I guess that's the part I will try and figure out. I think there is a real opportunity to import this species and then breed it so no more need to be collected from the wild. So far from what I've seen it looks like a very good aquarium pet and if it's popular aquaculture would ensure species survival in my opinion. It's a nobel cause atleast. If I get it figured out I'll post again and let you all know. Anymore tips about permits would be greatly appreciated

12. cthulhu77

There aren't any specific guidlines to the take of wild octos in mexico...the laws do govern vertebrate fishes, though.
    Two years ago, we began looking for permits to obtain digueti, and met with stone looks and a large amount of disbelief from the fisheries department. So many are consumed as food and for bait by the locals that they could not fathom why anyone would want to take any back as "pets".

For almost a decade, I've been trying to rear these little guys in the states, and haven't had too much luck...but with some new equipment, and more tanks, we are hoping to have a banner year in 2006/07. It would be awesome if we could hook up information, and if both of us can raise up a generation, do some swapping of little ones for diversity.

13. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Population biology of Octopus digueti and the morphology of American tropical octopods. Voight, Janet Ruth 1990 (Full dissertation available)

14. DWhatley

Movement, injuries and growth of members of a natural population of the Pacific pygmy octopus, Octopus digueti
    Janet R voight 2009 (subscription)

15. DWhatley

Laboratory Growth, Reproduction and Life Span of the Pacific Pygmy Octopus,
    Octopus digueti'
    RANDAL H . D ER USHA, JOHN W. FORSYTHE AND R OGER T. HANLON2 1988 (pdf)

QueenB likes this.