Overflow box or Bulkhead w/strainer?

bassman

Blue Ring
Registered
I am in the planning stages of building a new octopus tank. I am uncertain as to whether I should incorporate an overflow box on the back of the tank with slits built into the rear tank wall to feed it or just use a 1.5" bulkhead with a strainer on it instead.

I currently run two tanks (20 gal) off the side of my sump using bulkheads with strainers and they seem to work fine.

Is there any reason a overflow box would work better that I am unware of?

Thanks.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
An overflow box would give you a bit more surface water going in (which is a good thing, especially if it was a reef), but on the other hand is generally more difficult to octo-proof. If you've had good luck with lonely bulkheads there's no harm in sticking with it in the new tank. There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

Here's pictures of my overflow. As you can see I went the route of putting slits in the wall. I did this primarily because I like to to tinker: I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it to others unless they get as much joy as I do grinding glass with a Dremel tool for 9 hours :)

bassman

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks for the reply and the pics. I actually envisioned having to make the overflow box exactly the way you have. I am one for tinkering and DIY projects but I think in this case the bulkhead will work just as well and be much easier to incorporate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamibeachsteve

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards