Ordovician Sponge

Since, this is an educational forum, it appears that jstor allows distribution with the caveat that the material not be used for financial gain.

2.1 Permitted Uses. Institutional Licensees and/or Authorized Users (as defined in the JSTOR Terms and Conditions of Service) may search, view, reproduce, display, download, print, perform, and distribute Licensed Content for the following Permitted Uses, provided they abide by the restrictions in Sections 3 and elsewhere in these Terms and Conditions of Use and the JSTOR Terms and Conditions of Service. Permitted Uses may be undertaken within the premises of an Authorized User's affiliated Institutional Licensee. Except in the case of Authorized Users who are Walk-In Users, Permitted Uses also may be undertaken remotely through secure access methods:

(a) research activities;

(b) classroom or organizational instruction and related classroom or organizational activities;

(c) student assignments;

(d) as part of a scholarly, cultural, educational or organizational presentation or workshop, if such use conforms to the customary and usual practice in the field;

(e) linking (see Section 4 below);

and for Content other than Register & Read Content:

(f) on an ad hoc basis and without commercial gain or in a manner that would substitute for direct access to the Content via services offered by JSTOR,sharing discrete Textual Content or Specimen for purposes of collaboration, comment, or the scholarly exchange of ideas;

(g) downloading Textual Content to view, use and display including on a personal digital device (e.g. mobile devices, e-readers, and personal computers);

(h) in research papers or dissertations, including reproductions of the dissertations, provided such reproductions are only for personal use, library deposit, and/or use solely within the institution(s) with which the Authorized User and/or his or her faculty readers are affiliated; and

(i) Regarding Textual Content and Specimens, fair use under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act, educational exceptions, or other similar provisions of the copyright laws or other intellectual property right laws in the United States or in other countries.

If the admins interpret the clause as I do(IANAL), all papers are fair game as long as they are for education or research, and in the future, we can supply the information for all curious minded individuals

Solius, I don't have a clue how all that works but I suppose Tonmo would have to be "listed" as one of the institutions with access....(IANAL) either :goofysca:

i think what you have is some kind of stromatoporoid. ive collected a lot stroms in Michigan and the thing in you pic looks like the Silurian period ones i find.

i admit that i dont know much about Ordovician fossil fauna, so your opinion is probably worth more than mine. however, last time i checked demosponges were very rare throughout the Paleozoic, but silica sponges and stromatoporoids were more common at the time.

in Silurian and Devonian Michigan formations the ratio of stromatoporoid species to silica sponges varies from 6:1 to 16:2 (with no demosponges described). assuming that statistic applies to the Ordovician, odds are that your fossil is a strom or silica sponge.

Proteus, I do not claim to know, with any amount of certainty, what this fossil is. As we all know with a specimen this old, damaged and a shabby photo, attempting on-line identification is dicey to say the least. BUT with the evidence I presented, I believe that Archaeoscyphia is a good place to begin with study (which would be much easier if I could find the specimen) :heee:. And there is also this: http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl?a=checkTaxonInfo&taxon_no=3007&is_real_user=1 (click on age range and collections tab at top of page).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back