Octopus's being thrown on ice during hockey game's

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by lance, May 31, 2009.

1. lance

lance Wonderpus Registered

I was looking at some stuff online on how they throw octopus's onto the ice during games in Detroit. I think this should be illegal to waste an octopus's life for this. I love hockey and tradition's but this tradition gotta go don't you all agree?

lance

2. lance

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

4. lance

I appreciate your support, It's not i'm a bad sport I just think it's wrong to do with a live octopus why can't they do it with stuffed octopus's it be the same only saving the life of a real octopus.

lance

5. octopi88

octopi88 O. bimaculoides Registered

what they did is not reasonable one bit

6. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

That's pretty messed up.

7. lance

They won't be throwing octopus's on the ice the way my Pen's are whooping on the redwing's. :wink:

lance

GO PEN'S!!!!!!!

8. #30Girl

#30Girl Wonderpus Registered

No! Save the octopuses! I've never been a fan of hockey...I STRONGLY disagree...Why would they do that anyway?
    It only destroys!!

9. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I think it highly disrespectful of a creature that was alive and originally killed for human consumption, to be reduced to merely a prop without second thought given, 20 seconds worth of "fun". I am not of the oversimplified "Cows die, you live" persuasion, but I do eat meat, fish and the occasional invertebrate. I am also willing to kill my own food, I can not live on Soy alone; there is no such thing as a purely vegetarian diet, the hordes of fieldmice annually ground up in wheat harvesting combines will attest to that. In the grand scheme of things one could nihilistically (realistically?) argue that bacteria have as much right to an octopus, recently scraped off the ice, as a patron of the average Italian restaurant ordering his insalata di pulpo, but I think morality serves a purpose. Am I making too much of this? Knowing me, probably yes :wink:

#9    Top
  10. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

There are traditions and then there is this tradition. I'm not sure where the idea of throwing octopus came from...especially for Detroit of all places. Last I checked, there isn't any FW varieties?:confused: But then again, you see some pretty interesting things at hockey games.