Octopus living in groups and more stuff

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
@pgs also adds to the discussion on his latest Metazoan post .

Observing various species in my aquariums, I have come to the hypothesis that individual octopuses definitely display to emote but that the specific emotion display may vary from octopus to octopus. My thinking is, like frowning, smiling, squinting and a host of other ways humans express emotion, octopuses express themselves but it is not necessarily the same display across species. Taking this thought further, when octopuses live in close proximity, they may, like our language, develop common displays that are understood within the group but may not be understood the same way outside the group.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
@pgs has written an update to their observations at Octopolis in his Metazoan blog with the observation of a new influx of wobbegone sharks and thoughts on cyclical reef dynamics.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score

jugglematt

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Something I've never seen before , looks like a gloomy octopus eating a port jackson shark
@jugglematt I assume you did not see the octopus catch it but it sure looks like a fresh kill.
@jugglematt I assume you did not see the octopus catch it but it sure looks like a fresh kill.
well my friend came across the occy holding the pj and then came and found me to show me, the occy may have just scavenged the pj or may have actually predated on it , can't say, I know ive never seen this before in quite a few dives and dozons of hours of video captured ,

Attachments

jugglematt

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Also a bit off subjest but i thought id share this one , my partner just finished this amazing painting for me . Since i love occys so much, acrylic on canvas , . 1.2 m by 1m . Looks fantastic on my lounge room wall, matty

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FairladyZ

Mobile app users