• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Food

So I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my baby octo (identity unknown) and hope to go to the local shore afterwards to scavenge for appropriately sized food for him. Can I put several things in with him and leave him a smorgosboro to select from as his mood strikes or do they become overwhelmed by too many choices and begin to not recognize it as food? I know with newly hatched cuttles I was told to only put in a few living things at a time.... does the same apply here?

Octos don't have that problem :biggrin2: However, the general thought is establishing an eating pattern (time and number of days), letting it eat it's fill and then removing waste and uneaten food is both better for the tank and the octopus. It is not the only way but seems to be the most successful. When an animal is very small and can't be located (as with my current briareus), there is not much choice though. Leaving clean-up crew in the tank that may prove to be snack food, however (snails, hermits) is not a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back