Octopus encounters in Leigh Harbour

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Tintenfisch, May 13, 2007.

1. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Hi all,

I went for the last dive of the season on Saturday morning with a few friends and we picked a spot where we have reliably encountered octopuses in the past, and we weren't disappointed. Leigh Harbour is about 90 minutes north of Auckland and has extremely variable visibility, but it was the best I'd ever seen on Saturday - 7 to 10 meters!
    So here are a few pics; one octopus was quite retiring, the other fairly gregarious. Inverts with personality. :smile:
    There are some videos too, but the largest is 25 meg so I'm working with Tony on how to get them online.
    I'm pretty sure they were both Octopus gibbsi but I'm checking with Steve... :roll:

Attached Files:

2. Tintenfisch

And two more - this was the interactive one.

Attached Files:

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Nice Kat!

What was the water temp?

4. Tintenfisch

One of the dive computers said 18 C the whole time but I'm pretty sure it was colder than that, more like 16. Maybe it's just my 5mm wetsuit though. :roll:

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

You northerners are wimps!!!!!! I use a 5/3mm suit all year round in the south!!!! In June the temps get below 10 and in the harbour below 5....I admit I don't stay in for long though :grin:!

Nice pics though!!!!

j

6. Tintenfisch

I know... :oops: In my own defense though, one of the people with us was in a semi-dry, so I'm not the wimpiest of the bunch. (On the other hand my partner was diving without a hood (always does, while I wear an extra hooded vest :roll: ), so I'm hardly at the tough end of the spectrum either.) We were in for 90 min though! :razz:

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I am insanely jealous. No octopus encounters here in the heart of Texas. I've never even seen the ocean.

Great pictures!

8. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I'd say that calls for a road trip!

9. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I have to weigh in here in defense of "Northerners", as in North pacific. I was on an octopus collecting trip this weekend and the water off Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands was a balmy 9 C ( its warming up!!!) My 5mm wetsuit was quite toasty after an hour beneath the waves.

10. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

A road trip most indeedy! Waste no time!
    Pack and go tonight!!

11. Jean

weeeeellllll you could be an honourary Southerner!!!! :grin: I reckon North pacific northerners are more like south pacific southerners than our northerners............in water temp tolerance anyway!

Well if I'm honest, a few of our guys use a full dry suit! (it's quite fun to loosen the valves :twisted:) but to go in with out a hood.......brrrrrr!

J

12. Taollan

WOO HOO, I am making something of myself now 8-). Of course, southerner has a slightly different meaning here in the :usa:, but I will take it anyway.:grin:

13. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

uhhh hummm, and exactly what is THAT supposed to imply:?:

14. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

People who don't like the cold???

15. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

I once dived in 16C water with only a 3mm wetsuit. It was okay, but my dive buddy (mom) was shivering the whole way. We only stayed in the water for 30 minutes becuase one guy who breathing so fast he used all the air up.

16. Taollan

Let me preface this with this: I know quite a few southerners that are perfectly normal, great people.
    That being said, if you say "southerner" to someone from the Pacific Northwest, generally their minds fill with images of NASCAR and Jeff Foxworthy :roll: . I am not saying it is right, just saying that the stereotype exists.....

17. Taollan

I guess I should also say here...... GO TB BUCS.......... may Gaines Adams have a long fruitful career full of sacks and retire as an old buccaneer.

18. Jean

ahem.......didn't mean to start a verbal riot :grin: In NZ a Southerner is one from the South Island and in the SI a person from Southland! I am a Southerner from the South Island BUT I am not from Southland but Otago the next province up!

There is a friendly rivalry between the North and South Islands especially if the Northerners are from Auckland :lol:

It also tends to get colder the further south you go (and the closer to Antarctica you get!!!!)

J

19. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Hahaha, if I didn't have to hold down a job to pay for my house, car, fish tanks, etc. I would have become a beach bum long ago.

I'm actually going to San Diego, California at the end of this month for a few days. I plan on spending some time diving.

20. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Animal Mother, I hope you mean snorkeling. If you have never seen the ocean, diving is not something you can do without training and it would be best for all of us if you kept your lungs (not to mention other hazzards) in tact.

Taollan, I hate to admit it but your version of NASCAR Southern is more than just stereotypical. You can count me out of the stereotype but I am afraid that does not make me normal. However, I am from Gainesville, GA :grin: Happy Birthday John Smoltz and long manage Bobby Cox - GO BRAVES!

Attached Files: