Octopus Availability

Zach S.

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Its actually local for me so I got him today! its eating a blue leg hermit as we speak!
Nice! Yes mine ate all my hermits within the month I've had it (about 20.) I feed him Alaskan shrimp, silversides, and scallops. I've tried to feed it clams but it just separates the meat from the she, and throws it all on the ground.

Benjie

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
What is the legal situation on bimac trade? It seems to change quite frequently...

If it's possible to sell/buy one, would you think it's possible or recommend trying to get one to Europe? Do they ship well, or should they be left where they come from?

Thanks for your answers,
Benjie

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s more complicated for you in Europe. However, I learned that bimacs were sold to European research labs and edcational institutions, as they are here. The problem is, they aren’t sold to individuals as pets.
O. bimaculoides is a very hardy species and travels well - the problem is getting one.
Have you ever tried Italy for octopus availability? O vulgaris lives in Italian waters, and surely some smaller species.
Then there’s always a vacation to California that you spend looking for a young octopus in tide pools!

Nancy

Benjie

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the information ... i might think of becoming an "educational instituion". (i happen to be a teacher.)

Having experienced travelling the States as non-US citizien, I think the conversation with the customs officer would be quite entertaining. "Yessir, that's an octopus. Yes, an octopus. No, it's not dangerous. I, err, found it on the beach, and I kinda thought..."

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Having experienced travelling the States as non-US citizien, I think the conversation with the customs officer would be quite entertaining. "Yessir, that's an octopus. Yes, an octopus. No, it's not dangerous. I, err, found it on the beach, and I kinda thought..."
:lol:

Benjie

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
It’s more complicated for you in Europe. However, I learned that bimacs were sold to European research labs and edcational institutions, as they are here. The problem is, they aren’t sold to individuals as pets.
O. bimaculoides is a very hardy species and travels well - the problem is getting one.
So guess what, there ist a departement of zoology of a university here that might be interested. Anyone here has a contact where they could go to?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you asking where an institution could order a bimac? I could ask around, or maybe someone else on the site knows.

Nancy

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
I've not heard of him, (FWIW - I'm not active in the trade but I've met a lot of people by running this site :smile:)

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
octopod

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak