No name....

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by corw314, Mar 21, 2008.

1. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I got a call from LFS in Pa last night that they had gotten an octopus in. Jess and I left today at 5:30 and just got home at 11PM. I don't know what he is, but he tried to escape the bag while dripping, crawled almost to the top of the bag out of water. Once in the tank, the serpent starfish perked right up. It's like the starfish knows there's an octopus in the tank again. Anyway the new octo was not even in the tank 3 minutes when he discovered the one last little crab that I've had for about 4 months. They had another one that was quite a bit larger, but I did not get it as I am still waiting on a replacement vulgaris. One of this ones legs has quite a chunk out of it. His mantle is the size of a large grape. I'm thinking one of the longer arm species, could be a dwarf as he reminds me of some I had a few years ago. First pics are terrible, but pics! :smile:

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to No Name (and I hope he gets one soon!)
    Am looking forward to more pics.

Nancy

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

What Nancy said. :)

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: long-armed no-name!

5. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

look at o. alecto... it looks similar to the one i had a couple of years ago

6. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

:welcome: little:octorun:

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

8. corw314

We saw an arm tonight! I was not sure if Noname was even alive anymore as nothing has been eaten from the tank, but in looking with a flashlight we saw eyes and movement! I still think I have one of those dwarfs that I had 2 of a year or so ago, but I am thrilled he is still with us. Think it's one week tomorrow!

9. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

no-NAH-mee ? Sounds Hawaiian or something. :grin:

10. corw314

I had a sighting tonight. I'm not sure what Noname is eating but I think the shore shrimp we added are dwindling in number. He's very reclusive but after an hour power outage tonight (a car knocked down a pole on a residential street next to us), once the lights came back on, he was out in his spot feeling and oozing and watching me! I'm thrilled. I was not sure he was still alive as the last sighting was a week ago. And I got 1 pic! I used my daughters tiny little pig flashlight and he actually put up with a light being shined on him till I got one good pic!

11. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi Carol, the length of those arms really make it look like one of the aculeatus or abaculus types of octopuses. I picked up 2 over a week ago and they are doing fine. Not that shy, they do spend quite a lot of time stuck to the front glass...

Good luck with getting a new vulgaris - I'm still looking!

12. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Sooo Colin, where are the pics and the new journal?

Carol, yours always seem to be shy (my guess is because they are young) and then overly friendly so I expect the same of no-nam-e :grin:

13. corw314

Well....I think this one was an adult and still is not interactive at all. I never see him unless I wake at night and he's out hunting the shore shrimp. :(

14. corw314

Sometimes I am amazed at the timing. Noname must have known I needed a distraction tonight, as I glanced at the tank I saw an arm, ran over to the tank and there he was. Probably 3rd sighting since I got him. As I watched, he climbed up to the waterline went totally out of the water and grabbed a snail and now is gone to his den.

15. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Glad to hear it:smile:. How long was he out for?

16. colinda

colinda Pygmy Octopus Registered

I'm new so I hope I'm doing this right, sorry if not! I joined to find out about the giant pacific which I show to the public!

17. corw314

:welcome: That must be an awesome job!!!! :smile: If you'd like we do have a thread where you can introduce yourself to our community!

18. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

:welcome: Colinda. Why don't you go over to the "Introduce yourself" thread and do a proper intro, and that would include telling us all about what you do at the Newport Aquarium. You will have rapt readers, I promise!

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO!

Jean works in an aquarium in NZ with their large octos (although not quite GPOs) and may have some useful input for you. I think there are a few others with GPO experience as well...

20. corw314

Came home from an exhausting day at work to Noname out doing laps and hundreds of flea sized free swimming babies. She must have been with a male before I bought her back in March. I sure wish I could save some but past experience shows they are very difficult if not impossible to raise in a tank environment. I need to start looking for my next octopus.