[News]: Taningia attacks!

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
The amazing footage, or at least sections of, is available to watch on New Scientists website. If your computer can play MOV files you should be able to watch the footage. Here's a link.

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
[News]: Giant squid caught on camera - ITV.com

Giant squid caught on camera
[SIZE=-1]ITV.com, UK - 3 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The squid was caught attacking bait and emitting short bright light flashes, possibly to attract a mate or to communicate. The elusive creature was taped as ...[/SIZE]

More...

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
[News]: Deep sea giant squid flash blinding light to attack prey - MercoPress

Deep sea giant squid flash blinding light to attack prey
[SIZE=-1]MercoPress, Uruguay - 5 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Enormous deep-sea squid emit blinding flashes of light as they attack their prey, research shows. Taningia danae`s spectacular light show was revealed in ...[/SIZE]

More...

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
WOW! WOW! WOW!

Amazing, and such graceful power. I guess with its equally considerable finsize, this makes Mesonychotheutis the more likely to be an active hunter as well; an exciting concept.

Good to see the old doubledecker in comparison to real life squid representations, this time around :wink:

PS: bar the 8 meter mantle length for M. hamiltonii, obviously,..., or do you think that.... :shock:

enrico

Cuttlefish
Registered
I now see that I had overlooked Phil's second post. Looks like there are actually several videos then, -the NewScientist story links to three different ones (and the resolution is better than in the other ones I've seen too). Or are these just outtakes from the video at BBC (which I can't play) or what? Don't want to miss anything.. :razz:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Ok, if anyone would like the full report Hunting behaviour and bioluminescence of a large deep-sea, eight armed squid - Taningia danae, click here. This is straight from the pages of the Royal Society website, but be warned, there is a lack of double-decker bus images though.

Before I read the article I had no idea that this was the first time a living Taningia had ever been filmed in its natural habitat. I think we should start a dedicated Dr Kubodera tribute thread! :notworth:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
The article concludes with some very interesting speculation about the hunting strategy of Taningia. As it lacks tentacles, the animals feeding strategy appears to be to rush at its prey whereas most other squid would move in but stand off, using tentacles to sieze and draw prey in and then ensnare with their arms. Taningia has been forced to adapt an entirely different, and highly energetic, attack using arm photophores to dazzle prey and use the image generated to home in. Fascinating stuff.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Yes, great story and images. Dr. K delivers!

So funny that they busted out the double-decker bus again, gotta love that.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Well, at least I was able to watch the youtube version. Truly spectacular creature!

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
It is a great article. Lots to think about. I looked up the web address for Goto-Aqua, cited as the makers of the camera rig, and found a page for it (in Japanese, with prices helpfully noted):

Go-To Aqua, Makers of Squid-Cam

Cuttlegirl, you question's got me to thinking about the lost tentacles too, namely, how do the brains of organisms that lose specialized limbs during their life cycles adapt to the loss, especially if another set of specialized limbs assumes a role similar to the lost ones? Do young Taningia use their tentacles to range targets?

Clem

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Here's what James Woods had to say... on his Cephalopod page http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/Tdanae.php

Taningia danae is included in the family of eight-armed squid (Octopoteuthidae) because while the juveniles have two tentacles in addition to the eight arms, by the time they mature, the tentacles are reduced to rudimentary filaments or disappear altogether.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King.God

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak