[News]: Scientists See Squid Attack Squid - LiveScience.com

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
If they are taking 100,000 tons a year in catch then this fishery is truly enormous, almost twice that in New Zealand for the smaller-bodied Nototodarus.

I sense a few hungry whales will start turning up.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yea theres a whole lotta humboldt squid. i just finished the last of 10 pounds of calimari i got for free from a friend that caught a few. i know that may not sit the best with some of you squid enthusiests. but never the less, they taste great.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Which large squid would feature in Atlantic catches? I was at a supermarket near Reims (France) recently, that sold pieces of mantle, approximately 4 cm thick and cut up in largish rectangles (25 by 20 cm). No one was able to tell me what species this was, and I haven't been able to check yet with on-line resources so far.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
dunno. Our local whole foods has some similarly sized pieces of mantle that purport to come from Asia (Taiwan, maybe?) bit I haven't ever seen enough identifiable parts to have any idea of the species.

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
They may have been from africa, ob. a friend of mine from s. africa used to tell me about the squid steaks back home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSG

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak