[News]: Scientists See Squid Attack Squid - LiveScience.com

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by octobot, Jun 14, 2008.

1. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

Scientists See Squid Attack Squid
    [SIZE=-1]LiveScience.com, NY - 16 hours ago[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]At night, Humboldt squid rise to the surface, and Mexican fishermen catch them with jigs on handlines, hauling in more than 100000 tons per year. ...[/SIZE]

More...

2. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

If they are taking 100,000 tons a year in catch then this fishery is truly enormous, almost twice that in New Zealand for the smaller-bodied Nototodarus.

I sense a few hungry whales will start turning up.

3. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

yea theres a whole lotta humboldt squid. i just finished the last of 10 pounds of calimari i got for free from a friend that caught a few. i know that may not sit the best with some of you squid enthusiests. but never the less, they taste great.

4. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Which large squid would feature in Atlantic catches? I was at a supermarket near Reims (France) recently, that sold pieces of mantle, approximately 4 cm thick and cut up in largish rectangles (25 by 20 cm). No one was able to tell me what species this was, and I haven't been able to check yet with on-line resources so far.

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

dunno. Our local whole foods has some similarly sized pieces of mantle that purport to come from Asia (Taiwan, maybe?) bit I haven't ever seen enough identifiable parts to have any idea of the species.

6. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

They may have been from africa, ob. a friend of mine from s. africa used to tell me about the squid steaks back home.