[News] Rare Goblin Shark Discovery in Australian Waters

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Phil, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

2. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello Phil,

Whoa, thanks a ton for posting that. Good old Mitsukurina. I always did like that shark, and that's a damn big one.

Not long ago, someone smart informed me that the "characteristic" protruding upper jaw of the goblin shark was a post-mortem distortion, and they really don't swim around with an embarassing overbite. The Australian Museum has a photo of a Japanese goblin shark with the upper jaw retracted. A very interesting brief on Mitsukurina by R. Aidan Martin can be found over at Elasmo-Research. Of particular interest is speculation about the shark's hunting methods, which make it sound rather Architeuthis-like.

Hot find, Phil, thanks again.

:thumbsup:

Clem

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

unbelievably weird and cool...great link!

4. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

awesome!! what a catch. very prehistoric-looking. Thanks from me, too, Phil -- great stuff.

5. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Its one of those things you only see in books and dont ever manage to put a size to it... much bigger than i had thought!!!

Cool

6. cthulhu77

any chance you could move this to the general forum? I think a lot of members would dig it!!!!

7. Phil

Thanks for the links, Clem. Very interesting reading.I must admit, the animal was larger than I had imagined it to be too, though I have done a little research and it seems they grow up to just under 4m...these days. Apparantly this animal is so poorly known that there are only 50 or so carcasses that have been studied to date.

There's a very good reason for that, Tony. The shark IS prehistoric! Teeth of a virtually identical shark called Scapanorhynchus are known from Cretaceous deposits over 120 million years old, this shark seems to have had a worldwide distribution. Teeth have been found from the Niobrara sea, so perhaps, just possibly, the animal may have met our old friend Tusoteuthis! It was, of course, also larger and I've found estimates of 5.5m or larger.

Here's a nice artists impression of Scapanorhynchus, and an amazing photo of Mitsukurina from the files at home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

.... between the lines (this really was shocking journalism by the way!!):

Just off the West Coast -- where the shark was caught -- are deep sea canyons. The area, which the [sic] CSIRO is studying, is critical habitat for commercial fish and sharks.

I wonder what 'critical habitat' means. I've a sneaking suspicion that this area is quite unique, subject to little historical bottom-trawl activity, only recently being exploited (explaining the recent find of something quite spectacular). Prediction time (1); if this is a new fishing ground then you might well hear of a few more of these things coming up over the next year. I hope I'm wrong! Prediction (2): the area is being considered for MPA designation (Australians lead the world when it comes to MPA's).

"It is the fantastic co-operation and awareness of local fisherman that make this sort of discovery possible," Mr Daley said.

Guilded lilly!

Phil, great find indeed; your pic, is that a live one or museum display? Stunning stuff!! Looks like the specimen on the pickup is in 2 pieces (you see the fin/tail in the ice on the ground ... sad).

9. Phil

Steve,

It's a dead specimen. The animal was freshly trawled from a location off Japan but I have not yet been able to track down the precise date or location yet of the capture. The shark has been photographed on its side, the artist has then digitally altered the image adding in the black background as you can see from the original image.

In 1976 another Goblin was photographed live off Japan but its mouth was not extended as with this specimen and looked a lot less bizarre. It seems that the mouth extended in this manner may not be the animal 'at rest' but extending to a bite posture. Perhaps this is why Goblins caught in trawl nets are apparantly found with jaws extended in this manner.

Please, please, no-one duplicate these two images . They are copyrighted images and we don't want to get into trouble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love to know what the 'spectacular specimen' Steve mentions is!

10. cthulhu77

tastes like chicken, doesn't it???? :lol:
    Once again, great pics and great info...Phil and Clem, we are : :notworth:

11. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Ok, per Greg's request, this is now in the Octopus' Den. So for the rest of you, here's a taste of what you can see when you subscribe to TONMO.com... :wink: :heee:

12. spartacus

spartacus Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

much as I hate to belittle the scientific content of this topic, I'd like to make people aware that you cannot make morning "auto tea" with a Goblin shark :roll:
    Sorry but some people don't realise coffee is served hot & get hurt, imaging waking up bleary eyed & trying to take a sip of one of these !
    It's not funny Phil :x

Also, if it is a Goblin shark, why is it so bl**dy big ?
    Gollum is small & grey, this is grey & 'normous !
    No wonder science is going down the pan :grad: :madsci: no sense of scale.

13. cthulhu77

Spartacus:No one has more "leaps of faith and imagination" than you and George Bush...now, we are waiting for the " Shock and awe..."

14. Phil

More details on the recently discovered specimen are available here. It transpires that the Goblin was a female that had recently given birth.

15. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Do you not mean 'Shark and awe...' ??????? 8)

16. spartacus

I've skin as thick as a sauropod's verruca, but to be alikened to George Bush has quite frankly put me in a huff ! :(

Genetically, I have great variation & nor do I hang my hopes on the existence of the bearded one in the sky & in this dull dull world a vivid imagination is essential in order to survive :rainbow:

off to lick my wound if I can reach it :P

17. cthulhu77

You could use a toothbrush from one of your holders !!! :D
    Don't take offense, master S...I only wish YOU were running for the presidency... (hey, Kat could be the first lady...cool!)
    That is what you need to do ! :D

18. spartacus

like I'd take offence !! :roll: I've retired to play with my airpen !
    & Kat would never play 2nd fiddle to a nearly 40 oddball !

19. snafflehound@work

snafflehound@work O. bimaculoides Registered

goblin shark well named

with those teeth it looks like it does nothing but go around gobblin' things up

20. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

Hi

Nicked the pic from the newspaper site I have however altered it subtly to get round the whole not being mine thing. I've cropped and enhanced, like plastic surgery but less stretchy.

Now the original hi-rez shot would have been cool to see.

That shout is very chimera-like

[​IMG]