newbie food Q's

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Fishy1, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Fishy1

Fishy1 Blue Ring Registered

Jan 7, 2006

I am a newbie and have only had my new octo for 3 days. It seems he's a hunter and wants nothing to do with anything frozen even if it's very fresh. :octopus:

My LFS told me he likes ghost shrimp and snails, but I feel like he's only eating candy and am wondering what the equivalent in saltwater would be to a ghost shrimp? :read:

I have so far tried to get nutrients in him with 2 kinds of raw frozen shrimp, krill and a clam. These were all ignored completely. Yesterday I got him 2 hermits and brine (he likes to play with brine, probably because it has no nutritional value what so ever). Both hermits are still scooting around unharmed. I have a mollusk, a clam and an oyster all alive in his tank, but since he ignored the first clam I am leaving those all alone for now.

In short, he's ignoring everything healthy and eating nothing but candy. :lol:

On the clam thing, I was very suprised he didn't go for that. I had trouble cracking that puppy open too! I thought you could cut through the back muscle and it would if! :roll: I had to pry for a while all around it to crack it, then I put it in the tank with the top on open a bit and slightly sideways. I was wondering if I should take the top all the way off or put it in fully open for him. Maybe he didn't get it or I manhandled it to much??? Of course I didn't touch the inside at all.

He's happily trying to escape, as expected, but I want him healthy too! Any ideas???

This morning I put these in for him :snail:
    I thought maybe these :goldfish:

Thanks guys!:tongue:
  2. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

Apr 20, 2005
    I would check your water quality mabe thats why he is trying to excape so much and why he isnt eating anything healthy. I suggest putting in a few fiddler crabs. No octopus can resist a fiddler crab you can get them reasonably priced hear Putting fish in your aquarium would just bother your octopus. If your octopus is being to lazy to get a hermit crab i highly dout that he will catch a fish.LOL it still has only been 3 days your octpus could still be scared out of its mind and not want to eat,just excape.

best of luck,

3. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Nov 19, 2002
    Hi Fishy1 and :welcome:

Go with live crabs and live marine shrimps. Try to only give freshwater food as a treat or absolute emergency food. Freshwater animals are deficient in the nutrients a marine critter needs.

I won't say more the other tonmoers know this topic is one I'm likely to get on my soapbox with!!