New Little Bimac

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by AMorayKeeper, Mar 14, 2004.

1. AMorayKeeper

AMorayKeeper Cuttlefish Registered

Hi All... I set up my octopus tank awhile ago, and just yesterday after the tank was completely mature, I brought home Gidget, my new tiny little Bimac. 6 of the legs look pretty short compared to the others, almost like as if they were cut off. But from what I've read about cephalopod vitality, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's really small, about 4 inches long arm to long arm, and all alone in its 37 gallon with oversized wet-dry and oversized skimmer. As soon as I acclimated her, she crawled up onto my hand and I put her in the tank. After lingering for a bit, she shot off, landed on a big piece of live rock, chaged to the same color and pattern as the live rock, crawled into a hole, and I haven't seen her since. I have a large about of live rock in the tank, some really big pieces that make a cave and a lot of smaller ones for Gidge to decorate herself. All of the small pieces are scattered on the bottom so she won't go dropping one on herself.

It's been along while since I saw her and I put a little clam in the water to see if it would lure her out, but I haven't seen any movement at all, not since I dropped her in there. She wasn't white or anything then. Is there anything I should do? Or just get used to having an empty looking tank?

2. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

Congrats on your new bimac, AMK!
    She's probably getting used to her new envoirnment and might start exploring the tank soon, give her some time. They might not eat on the first day too. Good luck with her, and get some pictures! :D

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Congrats!!! She will hide at first. I find they are always watching even if we don't think they are!! Looking forward to pictures!! Don't panic if you only get fleeting glimpses of her too!

Carol

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations on your new bimac Gidget!

As Carol says, it's normal for them to hide at first - and hard on their owners, who want very much to see them!

Did you get her from your local fish store?

Nancy

5. AMorayKeeper

Here's a very poor picture of the tank... I'm not very good at digital photography.

[​IMG]

As soon as I see her out, I'll post a picture.

Yes, I ordered her through my lfs. Someone there knows people who can get me a captive bred one, so I know that this one is around 3-4 weeks old.

6. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

Hi AMK, I went and looked at your OCTO thing, and saw your salinity was only 1.021. Octos need 1.025 to 1.028 to survive so I recommend raising the salinity, but don't do it all at once. Also, 64 degrees may be a litttle low for a bimac, but she might be ok.
    Nice pic. :D 3-4 weeks :shock: thats really young, enjoy her! :)

7. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Nick's right about the salinity, and also right to raise it gradually.

Most of us keep our bimacs at room temperature, so that's why the water is in the seventies. A bimac should be OK at 64 degrees, but you might find interaction easier if it's slightly higher. Are you using a chiller?

Nice first pic!

Nancy

8. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Nice Tank! The other thing is if your tank is well lit, you may want to shut off your flash so you don't freak him with it! Mine lost their fear of the camera after I stopped blinding them :oops: !!

Carol

9. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Octopuses eyes can be blinded by brighter flashes and the flashes could also scare them into inking.

Congrats on getting Gidge safely!

10. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

i find that the tank's own lights are normally enough with a digital camera with no flash :)

11. neptune

neptune Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

:welcome: Gl with your new addition!

12. AMorayKeeper

How should I raise the salinity gradually?

I'm not using a chiller, I'm actually using a heater. I thought bimacs like the mid sixties. the house is kept at 60 degrees.

13. neptune

neptune Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

As you do water changes with a higher salinity than in your tank it will increase. Just do not do it too drastically with one change. IMO, do a 10% h2o change at 1.028 salinity. Check your params and repeat agaian at your regulare weekly water changes until you get to your desired result.

14. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

mid 60s is perfect!!!! :)

15. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Another way would be to add ro water gradually until the water reaches the desired salinity.

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Blue Ring Registered

good luck with your Bimac

an S.G. of 1.021 (corresponds to a salinity of just over 31 parts per thousand salinity) is definitely too low for octopii and most other invertebrates. Nevertheless, I seriously doubt your bimac would have a lot of time (like weeks or even days) to wait for you to rectify the situation and make the salinity right. How long ago was it when you last saw it?

By the way, by 'moraykeeper' , do you mean 'moray eel keeper'. If you like both moray eels and octopii, you should already know that moray eels are mortal enemies of octopii.

anyway, good luck with your bimac.

17. AMorayKeeper

To do this faster, I top off with salt water around 1.030 instead of with fresh.

Yes, I know morays and octopods do not get along, so I keep them in seperate rooms.

I last saw it Monday.

18. AMorayKeeper

As of now my SG is at 1.023.

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Blue Ring Registered

hiya moray-octo-keeper

a S.G. of 1.023 sounds a lot better. I think you should aim at 1.024 ~ 1.025 tomorrow. I believe your bimac has been in the tank since saturday. Physiologically, the little guy has been under osmotic stress for 5 days already.

If the chemistry or the quality of the water is not right, a lot of octopus spp. will curl up the tips of their tentacles or arms and rub them against their body (the mantle). When you can see your bimac clearly, pay particular attention to that too.

To observe my octopii clearly, I always provide them with a glass bottle (of suitable size and preferably oval in shape:capacity roughly equals 1.5 times their body volume and an aperture of about 80% of the widest part of their mantle) as their lair. Trust me, they love it and feel secure in it while you can observe their activities clearly. In addition, give it a small piece of plexiglas (clear acrylic, 3mm thick, slightly larger than the aperture of the bottle) as a shield (they use their suckers to hold it against the opening of the bottle). Your bimac will be a happy bimac.

20. AMorayKeeper

Would it really choose the bottle over all of the live rock I added? And I'm guessing I haven't seen him because he's stressing.

Could I fill a nylon stocking with salt and let that sit in the tank??