• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

my octo wont eat

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
3 days after i got my octo he ate 2 good size chunks of scallop but since then he wont eat any thing i offer him.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
try giving him live fiddlers, many octos will take this but not other types of foods, also test the water to see if anything is wrong

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
thats what i tried to feed him this evening.ammonia is a little high,im going to do a water change now.he is a little on the white side, but every time i see him he's on a white rock.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
the ammonia, might be the cause so i would do some daily water changes for a week maybe two until its back to normal. Juts wondering, what size tank do you have? and how much live rock?

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
75g tank 20g refugium and about 60 to 70 lbs of live rock.it was a reef tank and never had so much as a spike.how much of a water change would be to much?

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
it might just be the shock from the octo since they create a lot of waste, and hopefully it will go away once the tank adjusts but i would still suggest to do water changes until it is better.

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
thank you for your help.i did a 10 gallon water change and i'll keep doing it every day until its under control. thanks again.

shipposhack

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
What was your ammonia at? What kind of octo and how big? His behavior could be related to senescence, though it could also be water quality related. Keep offering a variety of LIVE foods, once he starts eating you can try frozen. Offer the food with a feeding stick or with your hand and make sure your octopus sees it and recognizes it as food. I hope he makes it.

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
but only for one, maybe 2 water changes... not two days in a row... but one big and then smaller ones would be fine

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
my nh3 level were between .50 and 1.0 ppm. i did a 15g water change last night and left 2 very small fiddler crabs in the tank.today i checked my nh3 level and they were fine.i also found the remains of the crabs scattered about the opening of his hole.so i think everything is ok,but i have not seen him yet tonight.

Members online

No members online now.